Friday, November 30, 2018

Peacock table

I found this photo of what I call peacock blue table on Pinterest the other day and thought that it was so pretty I would try to make it.

 First of all as usual a scale drawing and choosing wood. Easy choice for the wood, more venetien blind wood as its fine and cuts well. Here I glued two pieces together at the ends to scroll out the front decorative panel. I had already done the sides which I had to imagine as the original photo was frontal. For the legs I used some square section mahogany wood I had in stock. It is much harder to work than the usual wood but as the legs were going to be spindly it was better to go stronger.
 The front panel in detail with the sides already done.
 Here you can see the legs which I fluted on two sides, a very tricky business! Almost gave up! I strengthened the decorative panels with strips of wood and then glued a tongue depressor to the drawing to use as a guide for glueing.
Here I sandwiched the pieces between blocks and then used clamps to keep it all in place.

 In the background you can see two sections of wood assembled for the top. I cut out the top in a finer Obeche wood at first but it felt too fine and the venetien wood was a better choice. Before I discovered this source of wood I would be very mean with the use of my wood stock as its so expensive usually but with this wood you can really go to town!
 The almost finished table with added top supports in mahogany.
 Here are the two proposed tops, the first one is Obeche and although a pretty grain is a bit too fine in thickness. This table is a country piece albeit a slightly posh one! In much of this type of furniture the large pieces would be assembled from planks.
 The finished table sitting on some printed parquet flooring from a dollhouse kit and with a mirror sitting on top. The tiny french porcelain jug was a gift from my friend Chantal along with a lot of other goodies!
 The full frontal to compare with the original. Nothing is yet fine sanded and painted so there are slight areas of 'unfinish' !
 Sitting against the page of a catalogue pretending to be in a Swedish manor house. This was a tricky project but I learnt a lot doing it which will make any more tables easier to make. I am pleased with the spindlyness of the legs which make it look like its floating. The finished painted version will be up soon.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, I am glad to have used mahogany for the legs as they are so skinny, 'normal' wood would have broken off !!! will paint it up in january, will do a paint/patina post with all the recent stuff.

    ReplyDelete