Sunday, November 25, 2018

Baby steps.

Looking at images of primitive Swedish antiques I came across some steps like these and thought that they could be quite easy to make. I began with a card mock up , (which I didn't photograph) then cut the sides out of 3 mm birch ply and the upright and steps out of some of the venetian wooden blind. A tip when cutting a hole in wood as seen in the upright handle, do it before cutting out the piece, its easier to drill in something big than a tiny bit of wood! 

 Another angle before staining and painting.
 I had no idea how big or small these step are in reality so I just guessed. I realised that after a while when working with minis, you sort of get the scale in your eye.

 First coat of stain, when mixing woods in one piece there is always the problem that stain doesn't take the same way on all woods. Luckily this piece was going to be painted.
 Here is the finished piece with second coat of paint. First coat was off white and the second was Library Green by F&B. You can just about see three tiny nails I added at the base of the upright for effect. I used my Dremel sander to wear down the edge of the steps to represent a century of wear.
 Another view with the piece aged with water colour in all the corners and then waxed with dark 'Antique Wax' then polished up.

No comments:

Post a Comment