Monday, November 12, 2018

Swedish Gustavien sofa.

I love Swedish furniture and interiors and I suddenly had the idea to make one of these swedish sofas that I often see in coutry houses. The wood in birch ply, the detail was taken from an old picture frame using a mold. I began thinking I would use a metal finding detail but in the end didn't. 



 Here I began with a pattern to get the best use of the sheet of birch ply and you can see the wooden detail I cut from an old frame and the resin version taken from the mold.
 I didn't take enough pictures of the assembly but here is the base with the structure holding in place the back legs and showing the front legs, cut down from shop bought ones.I drilled them through and inserted toothpics so strengthen.
 Here all the legs are in position and the back legs have been slightly tapered using a craft knife.
 Here the sofa has been painted, one coat of green and one of grey blue.
 Here almost finished and sanded to age the piece, I put on a pillow I embroidered and in the background you can see the stove that is still in the making and a screen to match the swedish style.
 Here is the back, very plain as the original would have sat against a wall and did not need decoration. The Swedish style is usually quite plain with little detail and always always painted as furniture was mostly made from local wood and not exotic woods.
 Here I am in the middle of the process of patination with antique wax. I usually rub on quite a bit , let dry then polish off the surplus, using sometimes an old toothbrush.
 Here is the finished sofa bench before the mattress seating.
Here is a little 'mise en scene' in a shoe box with a framed auction catalogue print of an old house and the screen.














No comments:

Post a Comment