Monday, November 26, 2018

Cobbling

Here is another kit transformation, or should I say a kit and a half! One of the kits I bought some time ago was incomplete so I had the idea of 'cobbling' ( assembling ) a complete kit with the pieces of the incomplete one. I made this before I really got into the Gustavien look so it sort of got made up as it went. 

 Here I assembled in a two tier form. Often pieces of furniture with this configuration are separate pieces which makes it easier for transport.
 Staining although I had the intention of painting it later, still working things out.
 First coat of the usual F&B paint in 'New white'. Of course there is much sanding with fine paper during the whole process.
 Two final coats of F&B 'Bone', a lovely old colour. Still undecided about hardware!
 This is one of my favorite books, I actually have two copies. I have mentioned Lars Sjoberg before, he is an amazing individual whose life's work is saving and restoring old Swedish homes. He wrote a book on how to copy certain antique pieces of furniture. It is very hard to find but I have it somewhere, it's worth a look.
 Here you can see the detail I added, a fine line in darker bone mix with ochre. I added it to all sides, drawers and the top. You need a steady hand but felt tips or coloured pencils could work. I used paint. The whole piece was finely sanded to age it and given a wash of 'dirty water mix' to patina it.

 Trying out the scale, I added a pair of beautiful vases found on eBay in a job lot with some other more doubtful pieces. I was thrilled to find that they were so beautiful and actually signed! The other two pieces are cake 'feves' . ( FEVES = small ceramic items to be found here in France in cakes on special days )
Finally I added some handles in two sizes and some escutcheons on the lower drawers. I then waxed the whole piece with the usual 'Antique furniture wax' and voila !

2 comments:

  1. This is such an Excellent idea! The two chests kits look is if they were made for each other and your finishing and detail work.... OUTSTANDING! ❤️
    p.s.
    A friend of mine and her husband are currently building a Swedish dollhouse at Miniworks blogspot, and I have forwarded your blog and book info to her. :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I do have a lot of these kits, they are so well prepared ! Thank you for forwarding my blog. I looked up their blog but all the pics are down !! strange, maybe a bug .

    ReplyDelete