Thursday, November 29, 2018

Venetian Bed

Yesterday's project, the copy of an antique Swedish bed found on Pinterest. Not sure if I am allowed to post this picture but it's from Hargaantik in Sweden.
I began as usual with a scale drawing and again some slats of Venetian blind wood, hence the title!

 After choosing all the materiels I then glued four pieces of wood together at the scrap end ! so I could fret the four at the same time on my table Dremel. When I first used this saw it terrified me ! Now I know what it can and cannot do and it's actually fun if you have the right wood and patience.
 Here you can see just how fine this wood is to cut, the grain is almost invisible which is great for miniatures. This picture was taken before I cut away the scrap end, freeing up the four sections.
 Deciding on the trim that goes under the scrolls. Fine obeche strips via Etsy.
 Here I began cutting the fluted lower legs of the bed. I taped the leg each time to a piece of scrap so that the blade would not damage the end of the cut. I did this twice as the 'flute' is on two sides of the leg.
Here is my saw and a detail of the cutting proceedure. Again the sawdust is fine and irritating. I do have a vacuum attachement but when cutting small bits they can sometimes be sucked up !
 Just glued one side of the bed, I then added a second trim under this one that you can see in the next photo. You can see the fluted lower legs of the bed, it makes it visually lighter.
 The finished bed, still un sanded or painted. It will be slighty stained and then given washes of grey and then 'dirtied' up and waxed. The popsickle stick glued to the drawing for a guide for assembly.
 Another view, I added a small trim, again Obeche strip to the bottom of the end panels to finish it visually.
 The underside showing construction. It was a bit fiddly but quite easy amazingly. As I am still very novice at this I do learn a lot as I go. The slats are of course tongue depressors, cheap and easy! I was going to make the base frame removable but I decided to glue it in place for stability.
 Now to make the bedding. I often buy tiny check shirts and childrens clothes at the flea market for generally 50 cents to 1 euro and once washed and cut up they make good mini materials! I might make three thin mattresses to pile up like the princess and the pea!
 One last look at the sketch for dimensions. If ever anyone sees this blog one day and wants patterns I can freely give them! For now still no one has seen this blog which might be a good thing until I work it all out!

No comments:

Post a Comment