Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Bed making, the long way!

Here is a tuto on making a bed, not I admit the quickest or easiest way, only for those who like me enjoy the process! I made these some time ago now. 

  I began with a 'real' bed base structure in wood, thin ply and tongue depressors. All this would of course never be seen!
  This is the result of an old shirt, some coton and some wadding to pad out the edges like a real bed, the sort I can only dream off!
 The upside showing the plain coton insert and the slightly raised/padded edges.
 Adapting some shop bought spindles as feet.
 Here the feet are drilled into the base. After trying several mini drills, this one costing only 14 euros complete is the one I use most.
 A better view of the padding before trimming.
 Hand finishing the mitred corners.
 The finished base, sorry but my camera sometimes decides to make blue pictures.
 The mattress is made from layers of batting roughly basted together. The cover has real piping trim, not the glued on after version ( Nothing wrong in that but I wanted to go the full hog on this one ) The underside of the mattress cover is hand sewn in place.
 The finished mattress and base. I 'tufted' the mattress with small lengths of 12 ply coton embroidery thread.
 The underside in plain coton hand sewn in place before inserting the feet. This cover hides all the work put into the base but I know it's there!
 I then decided to make a single bed. Same method except I just stuffed the mattress with wadding from an old pillow without first assembling layers as with the double bed.
 Another view with tufts of embroidery coton. I have since made a bed head which I will show in a later post when the bedding is finished. A good tip for bedding is to use old hankies! most are plain but you can find them emboidered or printed or check. The fine coton used is quite good in 'scale'. Pillows are best stuffed with small beads as wadding makes them look too perky.

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW!
    Your work on this bed is Top Drawer in my books!
    The construction of the frame, the padding, the cover, the mattress; it just doesn't get any better than what you've done. I'm totally gob-smacked! ❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ! I wasn't going to show it as I felt it a bit weird to do work that was hidden, like a vice ! but its more fun than many tutos called 'no sew bed', I have three more to make in january for the future house ! a double and a pair of singles for the ' Napoleon bedroom!'I will be drawing up the beds to scale at xmas and also making a couple of hundred books for the Library !

    ReplyDelete