Sunday, November 25, 2018

Primitive antique mirrors.

I love the more primitive Swedish country antiques and fortunately they are the easiest to copy. Here is a group of some I made the other day. The odd shaped one is taken from a very old one when shards of mirror were considered of such value that they were inserted into pieces of wood and hung on the wall. The wood is either birch ply, popsicle sticks or coffee stirrers. The 'glass' is acrylic, mirrored with a Krylon spray as shown in another post. I began using real glass but the thickness and weight was too much to get my head around.

 Here is the process of one of my favorites. The frame is made of two coffee stirrers and the carved top is from a piece of venetien blind, cut with a hand fret. Here is just the pattern, trying it out.
 The front sanded before painting.
 The back showing the construction, fine wood strips serve to inset the mirror glass. The top piece is to stengthen the carving.
 Here is the finished mirror after an off white base coat and an indigo blue acrylic finish, sanded and waxed up.
 The back of each mirror I covered in scaled down antique wallpaper. This particular one was taken from the cover of a childs books and represents animals. I felt that the primitive feel of the paper matched well with the finished mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment