Sunday, June 2, 2019

Climbing the wooden hill.

When I was a child mum would say at night that it was time ' to climb the wooden hill' , or go to bed ! Mum always dreamnt of living in a house with no stairs as she always forgot something when she was either up or down. I love stairs and live in a house with three floors but I rarely climb the wooden hill these days. 
NOW if anyone had told me how hard it was to make stairs and bannisters and rails I would have gone with my first idea of making a four roomed house with NO stairs. AND to top it all I have chosen to make three floors and four flights of stairs with four landings. When I began the stairs of Ramsay House I set aside to the very back of my head , the next 'step', the bannisters. I didn't want the classic shop bought ones that you see all over the net but something simpler. I tend to prefer simple lines as houses are already so busy visually. 
I did my patina on the woodwork on the lower block of stairs and built the main heavier upright on the second step and a smaller version on the top of the first flight. I used basic 12x12 and 10x10 mm wood and enhanced them with strips of kraft card and a simple top that I can always improve later.I bought a few pieces of bannister wood from Houseworks some time ago and yesterday began staining and preparing them. I chose a plain wood for the spindles and then drilled out the underside of the bannister to be able to insert the spindles into the top and where they meet the step I will Simply glue in place. I must paint the spindle wood before assembly as it will be way easier. 
After much rumination I made a Template for the first set of spindles and bannister which helped a lot visually.
The floor of the first landing will have parquet to match the colour of the bannister. The spindles being the same colour as the woodwork and steps. 

 Here is the smaller first floor upright in wood and card. You can see the unfinished floor.

 Here you can just about see another solution I found. I needed the bannister to rest solidly against the post so I drilled a hole at the same angle of the bannister and inserted a piece of toothpick. The bannister sits neatly on this and will of course be glued in place during assembly. 

 Here is the underside of the first landing with its deliberate swirly overpainting and patination. I really wanted to paint to have layers as if the house had been painted again and again over the years by successive générations.
 The patination done on this lower stair block. All the beige paintwork has been given a coat of mat varnish but not the blue grey. 
 Below the bannister with its first coat of dark oak stain and the chosen spindle wood as yet unpainted.
 There was already a channel in the underside of the bannister wood but I needed it to be wider to be able to glue in place the spindles. 

 The first floor landing upright with the bannister sitting neatly agaisnt it. I had to cut this first bannister three times to be the angle right. Luckilly there will be other uses for the first two pieces. 


Next step varnishing again the bannsiters before glueing in place then beginning the spindles ( after painting them ) I am 'troubled' by the fact that there will be gaps between the spindles in the underside of the bannister and wonder how to fill them safely. There is always something to worry about, it's like have a first child! This is such a huge learning curve.

I wanted to just add below a good find yesterday at the charity store. A new 'teak' venetian blind which gives a LOT of useful seasoned dark wood and I only paid 6 euros! This will last me quite a while and will be used for shelving, furniture and even flooring why not ! There must be at least a square meter of wood and its a little over 2.5 mm maybe 3 mm thick.


A LOT for 6 euros! Happy bunny.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs M, Well i sympathise ive only made stairs in 1/24th scale for the timber framed house i built but they were set between two walls so it wasnt too difficult but from what ive seen you doing excellent having fun and learning along the way. The blind made me smile i was given one too a while back and they are excellent for timber good quality too, i look forward to seeing what you construct with it. Best wishes Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, yes I have chosen the hard road but that's how we learn isn't it? I am sure that your amazing skills came with their own stories of hits and misses. Yes I did use my other blind a lot for furniture, they do have a surface treatement that you have to sand off before staining, paint works well. I used the blind wood for the stairs and it's even fine enough for flooring. As you know we are always on the look out of how to use things for miniature work. Huggs

      Delete
  2. Hello Mrs. M. I see that you have started the daunting task of spindeling the first staircase. I look forward to the result.

    A second pair of wooden blinds. What luck. These venetian blinds made of wood are a great tip. With such thin planks they can certainly be used for building and furniture. I'm on the lookout for a pair myself.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes today is the day when I get off my backside and start spindling ! It's jsut one more thing to master. This whole house is like a long craft course of Learning. The 'blind' wood is amazing for it's eveness and quality, they surface if stained has to be sanded but it takes paint ok. If I had found this one earier I would have made wood colour steps and not painted ones ,,, hugggsss

      Delete
  3. I commiserate with you regarding the difficulties of climbing the wooden hill, and I CONGRATULATE you as well for getting it figured out AND looking good!
    Also the old Venetian blinds will be PERFECT for floors etc. Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss E , your words of encouragement help a LOT ! The day I had planned looks like its not going to be as miniature as hoped, lots of 'big stuff' to do ! but there ARE 24 hours in a day and towards 23h I do get really active. Huggsss

      Delete