Friday, June 14, 2019

More doors and mysterious goings on

If Ramsay House is going to be my life Partner I cannot say that I am rushing the Relationship! 

By the way my computer decides sometimes to put capitals where they have no reason to be!

On Monday (we are thursday) I found yet another reason not to put up walls and decided that I really really needed to make the first floor door frames and doors. It makes sense in the same way that fifth chocolate or third glass of wine makes sense. 
I used the same technique as with the ground floor doors and worked on some 350 gram kraft card to keep everything square and stable. I hesitated between moldings for the top of the doors and chose a gold frame that with lots of difficulty I managed to trim down to the right scale. Sawing this frame gave off a terrible chemical smell, maybe a mask would be a good idea.


The almsot finished frame awaiting its topping.


First coat of gesso/mat paint still on the back board but with the tops on.


This is the process for the doors, same technique as before but with a different design.
A sketch on the piece cut away from the Inside of the door frame base card.
Layers of kraft card as usual over 3 mm mdf ( the backing of an old frame ) then smeared with Poly filler. I decided to buy some new filler as the old pot was so dry, I am mean with materials and squeeze out the last onze.


This time I scraped off the excess filler before it dried to avoid sanding the card as this takes off the surface layer. I used a wet finger to smooth it out.


The end result, door set in frame, two layers of gesso. These doors lead to the first floor bedrooms.


Now here we have the 'mysterious goings on' part ! I wanted to show the difference between the ground floor doors and these first floor ones and as I set in the pair of doors ,,, ooops ! 
No idea what has gone on here. I did not make the two ground floor doors at the same time so the 6 mms came from somewhere ?
You can see the difference in scale as the ground floor has higher ceilings. Each floor has degressively high ceilings as you do in many houses.

But ! How ? Why ?
I have three solutions here, remake the frame, remake the doors, OR cut the frame in two adjsut the pieces and reglue. I have to sleep on it folks. 


Still reeling, really ? 


I then panicked and thought maybe the other frame is also too big, the one I already glued in place.
OUFFF !! Nope all good. 
The other night I decided to paint the doors a different colour to the frames and walls. Maybe a deeper blue grey than the wall colour then give a satin finish. I initially wanted them to be mahogany to stand out so maybe a few more test pieces first. 


Morality, measure then measure again, then re measure and DON'T work at night!

I DID promise to show you my mistakes.

12 comments:

  1. Oh this kind of thing happens to the best of us, and we spend so much time trying to figure out how we made the mistake. The good of it is that this is how we learn the most and sometimes the lesson is simply that regret serves no one so we laugh and quickly move on. Save the doors - they are beautiful and may just be useful for a closet or pantry in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jodi, mistakes allow us to evolve, we Don't learn so much by our successes. I decided to recut the frame down the middle and after chopping out the excess I will glue the ends back together, well that's the plan for now ! But for now I am finishing the smaller doors and frames then we will see !!! huggss

      Delete
  2. Hi Mrs M, regardless of mistakes i think you have done exceedingly well its not often you see people making there own interior doors and frames and in my view this just adds a further touch of uniqueness to the building we all make mistakes its how we carry on from these thats the most important thing. Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mr T , well I DID buy some doors and windows and stairs some eyars ago when I initially had the idea to start a house but quickly realised how poorly made they were or how 'standard' they were. I Don't seem to be able to find 'good' doors and windows for sale. There is good and cheap furniture but not trims. I made the one sample some time back and thought it looked ok considering then jsut said why not do them all ! and I admit it's fun to see jsut what is possible with as little knowledge as I had starting out. More to come !!! huggss

      Delete
  3. Oh no!!! Don’t panic though. If it was me I’d take a vertical slice out of the door frame and glue the parts back together. A little spackle and sanding and you shouldn’t even notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read my mind doll ! way the best way and who will know? I'm sure there will be a lot more boobies and spackling and red faces and laughter but above all fun fun ! hugggssss

      Delete
  4. Dicen que se aprende de los errores,pero....que sustos nos llevamos cuando nos confundimos con las medidas!!! Menos mal que al fin todo encajó en su lugar y el resultado son unas preciosas puertas,enhorabuena!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, Pilar, si aprendo por mis errores, entonces, cuando termine esta casa, ¡sabré mucho! besososos

      Delete
  5. Dear Mrs. M. I am with Shannon on this one. Remove some of the excess doorframe and you'll be fine. In R.L. My sister had to reorder windows two times before they were the right size. The remodeling of their house took 2 weeks longer than nescesary because of that. Their carpenter could not just take some centimeters off of the windoframes. Unfortunately for him. :-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's my conclusion also ,,, avoiding the subject for the moment ,,,, will deal with it next week, stil making doors ! decided to make the second floor doors when I am still in that frame of mind. Will keep you psoted ,, huggss

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete