Friday, June 7, 2019

Shell I show you

It's late and I had intended to put my little mirror unfinished in a box and file it away with all the other projects and get on with building the house.
BUT
There comes a time in all miniaturists lives when we just want to decorate. So I finished the mirror, painted the back and sides, glued a photocopy of a piece of wallpaper to the back, patinated it and varnished it. 
THEN
Fished out a couple of pieces of furniture and set up home in my favorite old wooden box. I added my two favorite porcelain vases to the first photo and a bronze Budhha to the second. The mirror doesn't show up too well against the peeling paper but I do like the effect.



Here I changed furniture for the commode I assembled from a kit last year with it's fake marble top. The colours go well together despite my aversion to things 'matching'. I do like opposition, makes things more interesting. 


A picture of the back. I do have a large folder of end papers and wallpapers but could I find it, no. So I found this in a magasine and made a photocopy, it works. I don't for now know how things will attach to walls when it comes to actually decorating for real but I have time to look into that. I would like a house where I can chop and change the decor as I do in my real house.


Good night, or should I say good morning, off to make my midnight tea and maybe cake.

14 comments:

  1. The minute size of the shells on your mirror and the way you have arranged them is/are Wonderful, Stephanie!
    I can see why having completed it, you felt the need to construct a setting around it and I say 'Why Not????!' :D
    And the backing paper was a good idea, even though it won't be seen when it is hung on the wall, it will be a secret pleasure, like a cup of tea at midnight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss E , yes I do like to finish things that will not be seen, I am sure that you also do this ! lets say that now I have made this mirror I KNOW how I should have done it, like everything in miniatures we learn and then learn more. Huggggsss

      Delete
  2. Es precioso! tal como has colocado todas las conchas alrededor del espejo,le confieren un atractivo espléndido!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar, fue muy divertido hacer algo bastante rápido y ver el resultado el mismo día.Besososos

      Delete
  3. Love it Mrs M i especially like the paper on the back nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr T, I always like to finish the unseen parts of things, as a sort of joke as for years I couldn't seem to finish anything ,,, huggsss

      Delete
  4. Dear Ms. M. That is an astonishing mirror. You have nailed the symetry in my opinion. It works out well with the shells you've used. May i be so bold as to ask where these can be bought? I am compiling a collection for sir Zonneschut but have not found these sizes.

    And... when will you start on the rest of this grottoe after finishing the first piece? ;-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr H , yes they are tiny, they came from 'ebco 1938'( Eaton's seashells ) on eBay.co.uk. I paid about 5 pounds a bag. They still have some. I would LOVE to start a grotto ! but I am being 'good' and trying to keep on keel and finish my house before starting another. I would love to do a decaying French Chateau one day too ,,,, so many things ,, hugggsss

      Delete
  5. I can totally understand the desire to 'play house' and set things up. It gives you a feeling of accomplishment. Besides the mirror, of course, I also adore the chest of drawers. On my computer screen it looks like it is chartreuse, which is one of my favorite accent colors in my real house, next to a lot of neutrals. I like it so much, in fact, that years ago I dubbed it 'happy green'. But, anywhooooo, the hinges!!!!!!!!!!!! The hinges are absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought: "Hinges? Did I say hinges?" You see, English is not my first language. Well, and then there is Alzheimers. I meant drawer pulls!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang.

      Delete
    2. I knew what you meant ! yes they are cute, they came from 'HighlandMinis' via Etsy ,,,, from my home country of SCOTLAND ? Where are you ? huggss

      Delete
    3. I currently live in northern Florida, but I am originally from the south of Germany. Bratwurst! Ja!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    4. Wow Florida ! big change. Do you have a blog or do you make miniatures ?? huggs from France

      Delete
    5. Iris I didn't reply about the chartreuse, I also absolutely love that colour, it goes so well with all the other of my favorite colours like crushed strawberry and coral ! I can't wear it but in the house I love it. Hugggs

      Delete