Monday, June 17, 2019

More card and spackle

Still putting off the assembly of the walls in case I hit a problem and have a tantrum, I decided as I was in a door mood to make the second floor doors and frames. These doors are simpler, the ceilings lower and lead to two undetermined rooms for now. Maybe the Wes Anderson style bedroom I have in mind and the other maybe a workroom, store room mixed space.

I chose once more some 2.5 / 3 mm mdf as the base but this time used a slightly thicker stock card for the first layer of uprights and crossbars. I used the usual 350 gram kraft for the second layer. The medallion inserts are simply two layers of 350 gram kraft. 
This door looks chunkier than the other, I thought that maybe being a second floor room the architecture would be simpler. I had also wanted to change each floor style but within a theme. 


If any of you lovely people wish to use this easy technique I will advice that it's best to lay on two to three layers of matt gesso type paint BEFORE sanding it down. If you use the filler/spackle then try to take off as much as you don't need before it dries, I used a damp brush. Another tip is to also fill/spackle ( love that word ) the edges of the doors where all the layers are visible.


I wanted a simpler frame but ended up adding some decorative upholstery tacks to the upper corners. I cut the tacks short and pre-drilled holes to insert them into with some wood glue.

I add that both sides of the doors are identical, so lots of bits of card ! It's tough repeating things when you just want to get on.
Tony from Miniature Treasures said that it was rare for someone to make their own doors but honestly I haven't seen really nice ones out there so far for sale. They are mostly very basic.  It would be nice to find a company ( must exist ) that instead of just making furniture, actually make beautiful doors. My doors are a cheat but I have realised that most miniatures are cheats so now I'm ok with card and spackle.


The finished door and frame. It looks quite good I must say and once painted its definitive colour and patinated with some brass hinges and hardware it should be fine.


I looked everywhere for micro moldings for doors and panelling and not finding any I chose this technique. Up close it looks quite convincing. I DO sound smug ! Sorry just glad that more is done.


8 comments:

  1. The doors do look amazing so you've every right to be smug! Great effort was spent getting them to look so beautiful! I love the unique feature of the tacks, and you are right that better doors would be a welcomed option for miniaturists that do not have the time/skill/patience/creativity to make their own. Alessio Miniatures does have some unique and stylish options. If you haven't yet come across them, here is a link:

    http://alessiominiatures.com/doors.html

    Don't let those walls be the boss of you! Just get determined to face any challenges and get them done! :O) You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi, well it did seem like the only solution at the time and finally it worked out easy and 'cheap' and quite quick now that I have made a few. I have learnt to much that will be useful as I progress in the house and if after this I make another one ( bigger more doors !! ) I looked up your link, thank you, I didn't know them. Huggss

      Delete
  2. Esas puertas se ven geniales,gran trabajo!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pilar, just a few more to go ! big besos xxx

      Delete
  3. NO ONE looking at your doors, would 1) think that they were anything other than wood, and 2) that you are "new" to the world of miniatures,- your work is sooooo PRO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust Miss E to give me a boost! Thank you, it's sometimes frustrating not to actually see up close a real dollhouse, to get behind the scenes and see what people like R&Mulvany do, but I suppose it's trade secrets. I love scrolling through other blogs, sometimes for hours, maybe in search of reasurance? The principal part of this project is all the fun I am having, stuff I am Learning and my back and forth messaging with amazing people ,, like you ! huggsss

      Delete
    2. I don't know if you are still interested in other sources regarding good retail doors but I'm forwarding a link to you, to add to your ever lengthening lists.
      https://lawbre.com/

      Delete
    3. Miss E, thank you , I looked them up and the doors are wonderful albeit expensive ! Their other things are also fantastic, will look into that later. Many thanks ,,,, Yesterday I ACTUALLY fixed in the stair section !! yupeee !! my nerves are shredded ! hugggsss

      Delete