Saturday, June 22, 2019

Building regulations and a trug

Yestarday was going to be GLUE A WALL IN PLACE day. I really hesitated as I knew that once in place access was limited and I'm really not as supple as I used to be. 
I began by choosing the internal hallway door colour. I used the wall colour darkened with some black and then lightened because I went overboard with the black! I patinated and rubbed them down and mat varnished them as usual. I had to do this step as the door on the left has to be fixed to the frame before it's set into the doorway as long as I have clear access. Putting in hinges is already not a great job but in a confined space is a no starter. I did the kitchen door at the same time as they face each other and have to have the same look.


I glued the stair unit to the left wall after painting the wall its final blue grey colour. This made me crazy nervous but I overcame the stress and did it, leaving it for ages to set. I then had to fill/spackle the join between the stair base board and the panelling where there were slight gaps. I now have to paint, patinate and varnish the filler to match the rest of the paint. Sorry bad photo.

Now as I was feeling confident and pleased with myself I decided to set in the right wall to check if all was ok BEFORE glueing the left wall and stair unit into the house frame.
BINGO! 
To the right you can see the problem. A gap you could drive a car through. The problem comes from the hallway floor that I glued to the house base at night and when placing piles of magaines on top to weight it down , it moved and it wasn't until next day that I noticed. The panel was out almost 5 mm which is huge in scale. I knew that there would be conséquences at one point but this shocked me. 
At this point the bookcase/window seat is not fixed in place.


A front view. Puting in the two walls made me realise just what you see and makes my worries seem silly over some matters as only I know what goes down. Once the other landings are in place the view will be obscured even more. 

Another view, rubbing it in! The wall under the stair doesn't fit into the floor slot as well as it should so filler/paint and varnish will have to be used again.


As the wood floor has been made around what was going to be the footprint of the second stair and bookcase it has now large gaps. The gap in the landing is actually 5 mm and will need to be filled and the decorative trim at the font adjusted and filled and painted to hide it. As the walls are not yet glued in place I can work on this problem with little hindrance.There will be wall panelling all the way up the stairwell so that will compensate a bit for the gap. I decided to paint the window wall the same colour as the woodwork as otherwise it would look 'bitty'. 
I am annoyed with myself but at the same time so glad that I discovered the problem now when I can intervene but it has slowed down this part of the build. I keep telling myself that this is a learning curve.


So to end on a more amusing note, when I said that the hallway needed a garden trug I decided to make a quick one for the fun of it. I few scraps of wood and some tools made from a soda tin and voila! I will make a nicer one, one day with better tools but it was just a piece of fun.



4 comments:

  1. Oh no!! Everything looking so good and this happens! Could you put a 5mm thick sheet of something over the right wall to close the gap? Even a 3mm sheet would help when you are going to panel the wall anyway. Just don’t panic. You will fix it. I really do love your floor tile, and the trug is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup !!! but at least I still had access to the sides. I just glued in several pieces of wood and trim and filled in the parquet floor gaps and stained, painted, patinated and varnished it all. Done ! Tomorrow I can FINALLY glue in the wall, tricky as it has several contact points that have to be glued at the same time and clamped in place. I just did a dry run with the clamps and so far it works. It ca nonly get easier from now on ,,,, I hope that these are not famous last words !!! huggsss

      Delete
  2. The good and bad news is that even with the most exacting measurements, this is normal, lol! The creativity comes in in the ways you come up with to camouflage! I am delighted to see the hallway coming out so lovely! It's a place I'd love to be in in real life and already feels alive with a history! The next time some unpleasant surprise tries to steal your joy just say "Oh. It's you". and proceed joyfully ahead anyway knowing you will find a solution! The doors and trug are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, well the main Lesson learnt is DON'T GLUE AT NIGHT ! I seem to be so active after 11 pm and the light is not great at night. The patination I did was also at night and now looks dark. The back doors are darker than I wanted ,,, again at night ! Good thing is that NOW I know how to make a house. This particular part of the build is the core Anchor of the house so it's normal that it has issues, what build doens't. Anyways repair done and quite invisible so now to fit in the back side door when I still can and then glue in this element which will be tricky indeed with so many contacts that need holding in place ,,, hugggs to you

      Delete