Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Paint pots and flower pots, going potty !

Last night after days of hair pulling and soul searching I finally finished ONE wall ! It's the back hallway wall with the door that leads out to the back garden. The door will be a Dutch Door as I've always wanted one in my own house. I painted the woodwork in the 'stone' colour which dried a sort of 'flesh' colour, rather unhealthy I must say. I put some Burnt Umber and Drain pipe black into the mix and it came out the colour I had imagined, even dry. The blue grey for the walls I wasn't sure about but ALL  the stairwell is that colour it had to be right. 
I had always wanted to patina and age my house finishes so last night I got out the sludge and some dry brushes to blend it all and after some sanding I finished the wall. It doesn't sound like a big step but for me it's the beginning, now I can get on with it. This section of the wall will be screwed to the base and I will then be able to install the first stair against it then the main left wall against that wall and so forth. Its a puzzle. You cannot really see it the photos and of course doing fiddly painting at night in artificial light is not the best solution but I couldn't put it off anymore. 
Seeing just how far along other bloggers houses are is pushing me forward. Thank you for that.


 The differences are rather subtle but above is 'before' the ageing and below is after.

Below in more detail.


More details. The red hole is where I shall pass the cable from the first landing light out to the back of the house where I will then fiddle with electricity at some stage and wire it all up.


I thought that I would show the back of this wall. As I wanted some depth to the windows and door I decided contrary to the internal walls, to externalise the depth. This gives me enough depth for the Dutch door and a window sill on the first floor landing to put some tiny plants on. The top cut out is the future third landing window which will continue up part of the roof like an artists atelier window. Its part of the history of Ramsay house that the owners have modified it when they inherited it from the mothers mother. I will close in this space and make it all neat but removable because it will contain the wiring and junctions with only switches on the outside to illuminate this or that part of the house at any one time. THAT is the plan for now. Electricity terrifies me.



On a lighter summer note I wanted to show you my Peonies, that sounded a bit strange!
They are wonderful this year after a tricky start. As you might know, peonies hate being moved so last year I had two blooms only. This year they are all out in full splendour. 
Dora cannot see what all the fuss is about and I am sure that she thinks that she is the subject of the photo. The gnome stool on the right was a gift from Philippe Starck who designed it, I have a pair. I only said to him that I loved the stools and next day he delivered them to my office!

This 'David' statue once adorned the doorway of a smart gay club in Paris St Germain before they discarded it. Luckilly a friend was passing and he dragged it to his home before dragging it to mine. I am not sure about it but for now it nestles in a corner.

Dora vying for camera time, she is usually shy or should I say 'doesn't see the point, where the food'!
 I sit out on these chairs when I try to make sense of the universe. I live in a dark village so I get a good starry night to contemplate.


Lady is herself here contemplating her own universe, thinking should I go burst another ball or run after pigeons, décisions décisions. The old iron chair was on its way somewhere else two years ago and I plopped it there and forgot about it!


Ending on weird. I saw this at a Junk shop whose owner I know in Paris and fell in love with its surrealness. The owner gave it to me as a gift and I couldn't find anywhere relevent to put it so it ended up here in a branch that I was going to paint coral white one day. The lovely landscape behind is by someone good, cannot remember. I saw it in a Junk shop for sale with two biggish tears in it which meant that it was fairly cheap. An easy repair as they were recent tears and all the fibres were there in place. Well that's my day, wishing you all as nice a day as today. 



10 comments:

  1. The wall aging looks fabulous and I love the ingenious way you're adding depth to the doors and windows! I am glad for you that you were able to salvage the fleshy colored paint by creative additions!
    The garden looks like the perfect spot for life's contemplation and you couldn't ask for better company than Dora and Lady!
    I imagine a guest could stay in your home for a couple weeks at least and never tire of hearing the stories behind each unique and fascinating piece that make up the place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi, the wall depth was Something I tortured myself over before finding this solution. I also have this sort of plan in my head to put garden and sky images behind the back windows and light them around the edges to simulate daylight. I think that building a real house would be easier! hugggs

      Delete
  2. Dear mrs. M. I love the way your first wall turned out. The colours complement each other nicely. And the patina looks good as well. Good luck with the electricity. I must admit that thats a part of the build I dread. Would not know how to do it. I should read up on it soon.

    And it is nice to see the dogs in the garden. Here it is wet and cold end my dogs prefer staying inside the house. :-)

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am SOOO glad to have finally stopped changing colours and am getting on with things. As everything is interdependant it's tricky to get the assembly protocol right. There are so many corners impossible to get to once assembled. Giac almost broke his ribs repainting one room! i just changed my mind today on the Soane room from green to ochre with Pompei Red bookcases. huggss

      Delete
  3. Hi Mrs M well i think you,ve made a spot on job up to now i like your attention to detail and the colours and patina you have applied are great Im having that dire moment on chosing colours for my wunderkammer room especially as they can be quite unusual:) Where would we be without our dogs, we were told last month that one of ours was diabetic its been a hard time for her and for the family trying to adapt to a whole different way of living (injections and diet) Your garden looks a delight and the Peonies always remind me of my mothers garden when i was a young lad.
    Best wishes Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony thank you , for your Wunderkammer you could look at the Soane Museum, the colours there are woderfully muted. I have a 'Soane ' room in Ramsay house but the colours keep changing in my head. I am not thinking of ochre and pompei red ,, Your poor wee doggie ! I lost my little darling to diabètes a year ago and I am still mourning. I gave her injections and a new diet each day and she held on for 8 months but she was severe. I found that changing to a diet of raw meat and cooked green beans helped her a lot. huggs

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mrs M I think thats the trouble with me i keep changing my mind about colours until i cant focus any more need to check out some illustrations online for ideas, doggie is doing well at the moment thanks Tony :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your posts regardless of whether they are of miniatures or life-sized, is Always an Adventure! Your collections of hobo junk and their varied histories, never fails to put a smile on my face! :D
    And regarding your miniature creations and builds; you may be a relative novice but you are well on your way to becoming a Past Master in the mini domain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh my head is swelling, thank you Miss E , There is so so much stuff in this house I could post until the end of time ! At the moment I found stumbled on another 'problem' with the house, THE BANNISTERS !! I Don't know how you all do it and make it seem so easy. Calculating what I must paint before assembly is making me go grey ( Im's already grey! ) but once more I a mtaking my time. Maybe the secret is not to intellectualise too much and just do it. Hugggss

      Delete