Sunday, June 9, 2019

Wainscottish

 As usual towards 11 pm I began thinking of installing the stair wainscotting, something I had put off by making the shell mirror. My time was not lost as you could see in the previous post. 
I had glued the doorframe that leads to the drawing room to the left of the hallway the night before and weighed it down for a few hours it had slightly warped. I spent hours looking at hallways and panelling and wainscotting on my computer until I decided on this very simple one. I used mount board for the initial sections and 350 gram kraft/mdf card for the next layers. I finished the top with a small obeche strip of wood that overhangs slightly.I had to be careful not to make the panelling thicker than the base board of the staircase. 


 A slightly odd picture photographed flat on the table in actual daylight ! I placed the staircase on the wall to check the fit. I cannot glue the stair in place as yet as much as I would like to. I have to glue the stair to the hallway floor and then install this wall to the left before continuing the stairs and landings.


 A closer photo, the paint actually looks much more blue than in reality. 


Below you can see the layers. Mount board and kraft card. I built up the middle section in two layers of Kraft and the uprights and top sections in Mount board then kraft. I will smooth over the layers with a filler mix then gesso before painting. 


The end side to the left of the door, you can see slightly better the layering. I glued this piece of wood the edge of this wall in order to have something to butt the panelling against. I still don't know how yet to best finish the eges of all the walls you see on opening the front of the house but I have lots of time to think on it.


This is a mock up before the painting. Whenever you make anything it's best to make a mock up piece to scale in order to practice on. Here I used a shop bought Poly filler and smoothed it with my finger dipped in a little water. Too much water will damage the card.

 Here I brushed on two layers of mat white paint which acts like gesso. This should be done before sanding slightly. Sandpaper scrapes off the top layer of card so has to be protected.

In this photo I have painted two coats of final paint colour, the same as the stairs and woodwork.


A closer detail. The filler and layers of gesso and paint smoothes over the card layers and gives the impression of classic wood panelling. In real life the effect is rather good.


Here I rubbed down the paint to age it slightly then varnished it with matt acrylic varnish. Next step is to rub down with fine wire wool and then maybe a slight wax and buff. 
Now all I have to do it paint the real panelling in one go. Maybe tomorrow in daylight.


Finally Dora asked me to include a photo of her on her sofa. She is trying to give me the stare, hypnotising me into giving her a treat, she hasn't quite perfected it yet.



17 comments:

  1. You’ve made amazing progress. Thank you for showing how you make your trim. It is nice to learn that there are materials other than wood that that can be used for finely detailed trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherrill, yes I used to believe in the beginning that everythng had to be wood and 'real' but a miniature house is also about illusion and grading down things like wood to equivelent thickness isn't always viable. Card takes many finishes well, even fake wood effect over gesso. The important thing is scale rather than authenticity. I am going t otry to do all the gesso tonight so tomorrow I can do the painting and patination. This is a big step for me so I'm pleased that I found this solution. Have fun ,, huggss

      Delete
  2. El resultado es perfecto,me gusta mucho! trabajar con cartulina o cartón kraft es muy positivo,se maneja muy bien y queda genial vistos tus resultados!
    Gran avance!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, sí, es mucho más fácil que la madera y los errores no cuestan mucho dinero !!!! Besosososos

      Delete
  3. Its Looking wonderful Mrs M, i particularly like your paint finish and the color too your making me think about starting the interior of my room box but im still putting ideas together ha decisions decisions! :) Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, with me no decision conerning this house has been easy. All I knew is that I didn't want it dark or Victorian then I jsut acted like I was moving in one day. I am glad that the panelling has turned out to be so easy after so many worries. Honestly if I wasn't already grey I would go grey ! Can't wait to see you interiors ,,,,, huggss

      Delete
  4. Hi Stephanie! You've really achieved a beautiful look with the wainscoting against the stairs. The whole section looks brilliant! I hope the rest of the finishing goes well for you, and that the stairs, landing and walls meet together perfectly! Looking forward to the next progress post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, thank you, now I have to keep the movement going ! There are still three more landings and two more flights of stairs to make, but now I know how, makes it easier. Doing the actual rooms will be a holiday after this. huggggss

      Delete
  5. You have utilized simple materials to create a beautiful finished stair wainscoting...it is inspirational to see what a person can do with unexpected materials. The finished staircase will be a joy to behold and it's very hard to believe you are relatively new to the world of miniatures! Looking forward to seeing much more in the future! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alayne, yes it's amazing what simple materials can look like when worked on and painted up. I can hardly look at a cereal packet without thinking what I can turn it into. As I say, mistakes are cheap when you use card. Yes I am new and Learning every day by my msitakes !! huggs to u

      Delete
  6. Just as with the panneled doors. The effect of using filler and card for effective moulding pays off. Great fun to read and learn!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr H , yes it's a good way of making the effect I wanted. I had looked at more complicated panelling but I think I need the body of the house to be quite simple to use as a background for all the things I would like to put Inside. I hope to add some drawers Under the house to be able to rotate the items. Lots more panelling to do now, huggs Mr H

      Delete
  7. This looks great! So so beautiful. But Dora is more beautiful! She should get treats for that in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! Dora believe me gets what she wants and WHEN she wants it ! Love her to bits ,,, huggsss

      Delete
  8. Your construction skills are advancing by leaps and bounds Stephanie! Your wainscotting and the trims against the Fabulous looking staircase, is a joy to behold and just shows what a keen mind, sharp knife and a lot of ingenuity can achieve- Bravo! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As ever Miss E, your comment encourages me a lot. I find that as soon as I do anything I know how NEXT to do it and the temptation to undo and redo is strong. I keep telling myself that A/ houses in real life are not perfect, and B/ Its my house and not part of any competition, it is what it is. I have moved on to the forst floor doors as I wanted to do Something that I could finish quickly. The excuse being that I needed to have them made to continue the stairs, only partially true. Huggs Miss E ,,xx

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete