Monday, June 3, 2019

Treasure hunting

Saturday is the day I go with friends to our charity shop, Emmaus. We hadn't been in a while and as the weather was fabulous the store was almost empty. I usually buy practical things, this time a large wicker linen basket and the wooden blind show in the previous post. I bought some books for a friend along with two pretty 1930's tea pots as she has a guest house on the river. 

I found this odd oriental table/stand in the trash pile of the shop as it had a missing lower leg and couldn't resist taking it for all the pretty gilt metal trims I could use for something. I spent the evening carefully prying them all off to find that the whole table was crumbling to dust with woodworm. 



 There droplet pieces will be useful somewhere surely ! 
 These swags will make excellent curtain pelmets or a table trim or curved round to make the base of a chandelier.
 This is just a modern shop counter in 1:12 scale and the little gold figures I will paint to imitate 'Staffordshire' ceramics. I paid 2 euros for the lot.

We then went to our favorite 'brocante', Junk shop to meet up with our favorite 'brocanteur' Stephane. His place is huge, he empties houses and schools and sometimes chateaux and convents. As the last thing I need is more furniture I concentrate on all the boxes of bits and pieces. Stephane had just lost his dad the week before so we spent some time talking about this with him as he is someone really genuine and special. His mum turned up and we had some wine and talked some more. 
I found these bits in a basket, all of use in some way, some day. You can see I found one of my favorite finds, the electric 'pear', a nice one with ivory trim.


This is a little tailors pocket brush used to brush off lint from clients. I will use it to keep my work surface clear of dust. I have a thing about brushes and somewhere there is a large box of them, then again there are boxes of about everything somewhere in the house !!! 

This antique Budhha is Kmer and came in this velvet lined box.  It's probably a souvenir from the 50's or 60's before they began making them in resin for tourists. It's big/small enough to be a large budhha in the house one day.

Evertime I go to a junk store or charity shop I say 'no more pictures', the attic is full of paintings and pictures of all types, all lovely originals waiting to be hung along with boxes of frames and folders of prints and drawings waiting to be framed. 
BUT
I couldn't resist these little pictures. The top one might be a hand painted engraving, it was the fashion at one point of ladies to paint over black and white engravings.

This next one is really pretty, there were about 20 others but I just took one. Stephane had bought the contents of an artists atelier with many studies and drawings and easels etc. I bought some months ago several charcoal classical studies from another artist whose studio be acquired. I used to collect charcoal classical studies then architectural drawings then it got a bit out of hand. I stopped this mania for collecting when I began making minaitures as it turned my focus.

This is just a little ruin in pencil. Somewhere I have a small collection of framed drawings of castles and ruins in pretty old frames, this will add to it one day.

Here you can get an idea of why I bought the following item. Immediately I saw it I thought 'bedhead' and then saw that the piece was part of a broken letter stand in cloisonné gilt metal. The stand had a missing foot and the screws that held the central piece had broken.

I'm not sure if I will use it in the chinese bedroom as I have just bought a Chippendale style bed but when it's time to decorate I might change my mind.  

This last piece sat on a high shelf until I found it. Sadly it is missing a leg and once held a cristal dish for some garnish on a victorian table. I could cast the missing foot and patina it up to match the table. It is about 6 cms high which x 12 would make it table height when a top is added.


 I think it's lovely although my house is not French in style I might yet add it somewhere.


I also bought the most gorgeous huge plaster sculture of an angel in profile which I need to consolidate before photographing. I also purchased an early 18th century marriage mirror in gilded carved wood, really gorgeous but the top was broken in many pieces and the idea of restoring it correctly to its former glory just provoked me into saying yes.
I will make a separate post on these two items one day. 
So in all a good day with some sadness, lots of conversation and fantastic weather.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs M, I cant wait until im in a fit enough state to venture out again looking for treasure although its rare i find anything as wonderful as your beautiful finds. Tony :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, if there is one thing for certain, it's that there is always a lot of Junk out there to be found. It never ceases to amaze me just how much there is in Junk/charity shops. I am sure that when you feel up to it you will find some interesting things to transform into miniature treasures. I'm sure that with your creativeness you could turn any pigs ear into a treasure. Huggss

      Delete
  2. You are a woman after my own heart Stephanie! I too love to shop the thrift and junk stores, but Oh My..... You have indeed made some Amazing discoveries!
    Your rescue of the filigree from off of the worm eaten table, was definitely worth the effort and sifting through all the boxes and shelves for the handful of mini bits and bobs, makes me very excited to see how you will creatively incorporate them into your dollhouse decor. Well Done!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss E , yes I do love a rummage ! I miss the flea markets in Paris where I could spend a whole week end finding treasures. Today the house is bursting at the seams but my interests have changed so much through working with miniatures. Today is spindle day !! I did ONE last night to see how it satys in place ,,,,, hugggsss

      Delete
  3. Dear mrs M. You have showed some excuisite objets trouvés before. But some of these trump the rest. The bronze casts on that little table looks superb.

    I love the letterholder. It shouts out bed head. Although it could be the background for a bath in an exuberant Chinoiserie styled bathroom. Or why not a bathroom with a Moorish theme? The bold colours would fit in that theme perfectly.

    The disholder could indeed be transformed into a Louis XVI table. I look forward to that transformation if you choose to.

    In short great treasures. I should start scouring the local charity shops as well. I used to do so but mainly for old cookerybooks and antique jellymoulds.

    Happy hunting!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monsieur H , yes the cloisonné is a find ,,, it will find a place somewhere in my work. The little silver table will maybe find a place in the 18th century style bathroom I am planning. I miss the flea markets in Paris but eBay and etsy fulfil my needs on a daily basis. I live in the middle if no where ! thank god for internet. Big hugsss

      Delete
  4. Wow, you found some really fun stuff! I really love the cloisonné letter stand. If you didn’t use it for a bedhead, it could be the backrest of a very pretty loveseat. Either way everything you found will be great additions to your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks, yes I do find some strange and sometimes intersting things. The cloisonné is indeed a good find, who knows how it will end up, stay tuned !! huggs

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete