Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Not a door but a tree

As I was walking down the hallway of Ramsay House in my mind I realised that I needed somewhere to sit and take off my garden boots and hang my coat. I love what some call 'Hall Trees' if they are somewhat substantiel and not flimsy. I had seen this one on Pinterest and it looked not so hard to do in miniature. 


I did some small sketches to work out the scale and finished size, not too big and not too small. This was going to be an important element in the hallway.


I missed some stages in the build, it looks fairly straight forward but oh the cuts and recuts and bits added here and there to make assembly logical. I wanted to include some turned elements, shop bought, to make it look more professional! hihihi !! I lined the coffer with part of an old map as painting in such a confined space was going to be difficult. Believe me when I say that maneuvering paper with glue in one piece into a confined space without tearing or leaving to make tea with cake is really hard!


A close up before I added the panel inserts and the back trims.


The top panel inserts are Simply pieces of obeche and the lower panels are bits of blind wood sanded to look mitered.


I used blind wood to make the coffer lid/seat which was not a great idea as it doesn't take stain very well. I completely forgot that I had the dark wood blind. Several attemps led me to use some dark oak varnish that made such a mess and had to be sanded down as it looked like glass when dry and not old wood.


The open coffer with the map lining and wood supports for the top piece. 
I added two of those sticky beads that are used in scrapbooking.


First coat of gesso paint, hides a lot of problem areas.
At this point I didn't know what colour to use but given the colour of the hall walls it had to be in the yellow range and also not clash with the floor. I really dislike things that match.



I bought the hooks from Julies bits and pieces via her website and after sanding the backs to flatten the 'seam', I painted them with some metal patina used in jewellery.


I looked out my hinges and as I am a mean Scot, I decided to cheat and save my hinges for when they are actually working or seen and made a fabric hinge instead. I cut the coton on the biais, glued it and trimmed when dry.


Voila, one cheap hinge.


It looks more yellow than in reality, it's more of an ochre colour. I tried photographing in different lights but only this one turned out ok.
I rubbed down the paint, patinated with burnt umber then varnished with matt acrylic. I sanded the nasty gloss off the seat and waxed it with my usual antique wax.


Some decor for the fun of it. I still have to muddy my wellingtons and flower pots and one day when I feel brave, make a couple of raincoats, Burberry and Barbour of course.


And some straw hats and a trug full of garden tools for the imagined garden.


17 comments:

  1. What a charming piece. You have such a talent for incorporating just the right amount of architectural elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherill thank you, it's sometimes tempting to put in too much but as I worked for so many years in fashion we had this thing when we always took Something away from the garment. Less is more sort of thing. I am sure that my 'house' will be full to the brim with stuff so it's best to keep it simple. Huggsss

      Delete
  2. Your hall tree turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie, I might re-do it now that I know how ! Happens everytime, huggss

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. iris thank you, yes it looks like how I imagined it which is good, makes a change from doors !!!! huggsss

      Delete
  4. Oh, I just realized that you had asked me if I have a blog or make miniatures. I'm sorry for the delay in answering. I don't have a blog. I'm much to0 private of a person for that (and shy, and feel incompetent, and LAZY!). But I have made three dollhouses that have two rooms, each. It's been a couple of years since I made them, but over the years I have been gathering 'stuff' and ideas to make a 4th. True miniaturists would be horrified if they saw my dollhouses - nothing is to scale and most of my supplies came from the home improvement store (where real men buy lumber) and not even from a hobby store. However, me, myself and I really like my own creations, and I know how much fun it is to work with miniatures and to see everything come together. One of my dollhouses is a church, with the lower floor having a confession box, a really nice altar and the grave of a long dead knight. Doing miniature work is just a really lovely hobby to have. I have already learned so much from your blog. Who would have ever thought of cloth hinges!!!!!!!!!!!! But how clever! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris, I've learnt that it doesn't matter how good you are at Something, but how much fun and pleasure it brings. When I began I had little idea of what I was doing, I had big ideas, not much in the way of tools or materiels but was enthousiastic. I love turning bits of wood and card into Something pretty, it soothes my soul. I am also a private person but I live alone in a huge house in the country, no shops, no friends or family , jsut dogs so blogging is my outlet now. Huggss

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a very good life! ;)

      Delete
    3. Yes it is. I spent many years travelling for work and overseeing many people and huge budgets and not actually 'living' that now it's such a joy to be my own person. Before there was little fun, now it's every day ! higgsss

      Delete
  5. Me encanta,es un mueble precioso y el color amarillo,le da luminosidad y le aporta calidez y alegría al conjunto!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar, sí, el amarillo trae el sol a una casa, es uno de mis colores favoritos. beosososos

      Delete
  6. I can see from your work here Mrs M that your going to be making some very interesting pieces, i love the color you have used and the construction technique you have applied to it, its simple but eye catching im looking forward to your next post.Best wishes Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tony, it IS more ochre in real life ! huggs

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hall tree looks fantastic and I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Shannon, yes yellow is such a happy colour in the home. I bought yellow paint to paint my hallway, not yet done !! huggsss

      Delete