Sunday, January 6, 2019

Xmas to me from me !

As usual at xmas I bought a few bits and pieces as a gift to me from me ! I think that many miniaturists begin to ask as gifts some 'small things' and I am no exception. I wouldn't trust a non miniaturist to choose something as I have been given the most proposterous things as 'dolls house scale! '. This said my great friend Maggie sent me two miniature hand beaded victorian rugs which I will show in a later post they are perfect. I also ordered some miniature scale brass stampings and bits and pieces for the future house now named RAMSAY HOUSE as a hommage to my mother whose second name is Ramsay. I think it's important to build a story around a 'house', it helps focus the style and content. Here are the latest bits and bobs. 
 I found this 1:12 scale chair inspired by the architecture and furniture of Charles Rennie Mackintosh ( 1868 - 1928 ) one of our most famous Scots! It was made by the Dolls House Emporium. I paid 4 pounds for it, a good purchase. The seat is covered in brown brocade. Not sure where I will put it but I couldn't just leave it there. 
 I ordered these two pairs of fire dogs on Etsy from 'Miniature Crush' the gold ones will go into the drawing room in Ramsay House and the black ones in the Soane room. They are made in metal and quite well done ! 
 These two little antique vases came from 'Gilly's Collectibles' on Etsy. There is a third slightly larger one too and all three are antiques. I am thrilled with them although being slightly larger in scale they will fit into the Chinese Bedroom in Ramsay House.
 In Ramsay House there is what I name a Soane Room after the famous collector 'Sir John Soane RA', ( 1763- 1837 ), it has an Egyptian them and these Egyptian Gods once 'bronzed' will go into the bookcase as will the tiny head of Néfertiti and the two Sphinx bookends. The winged sphinx head I will use to trim a piece of furniture in the room. The gods came from 'Gifts from Cornwall' , the bookends and tiny head from 'Miniature Crush', the winged heads from 'Lilczechtreasures' all from Etsy. 
 Also in Ramsay house there is a large 'Chinoiserie' bedroom and just before Xmas I printed out the wall paper that ties the room together and these Chinese themed stampings will find their place also. 'Time and Materials' and 'Beadsources' on Etsy.
 These lovely tiny wall mounted candle holders came from 'MiniatureCrush' and the frames which I find really wonderful in scale and detail from 'Jewels du Monde', both on Etsy.
This might look odd for now but it will be a future project for the 'Soane Room'. the glass is a Watch Glass from Etsy and the brass ring which will be the frame of the mirror is a curtain eyelet ! I will mirror the glass and set it into the ring which I will paint black with a gold Inside filet. The glass is slight bombed so it will be what they call a 'sorciers mirror'. 

2 comments:

  1. I've had the same experience of getting non-dollhouse scale gifts as gifts from my family and so I'm with you on preferring to buy my own "gifts" when it comes to minis.
    Your Macintosh chair is a Beauty and your various findings are intriguing. I can only envision the various transformations which will result once you apply your "magic touch" and by incorporating them into your scenes.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elizabeth , I myself bought online some bits and pieces that seemed 'right' but when I received them they just did not look right . You might be like me that in the beginning my eye was not yet adjusted and now I see things differently. I find all those dark 'Victorian' stuff so depressing and the accessories very chunky. I have just purchased some wonderful tiny bronzes from China for the Chinese room in the future house. I also just ordered a Chippendale table also for the same room as well as a minute 'Tang Horse' from the US. As usual I am over the top when I do Something so in the end I will have to filter things otherwise it wil look like a shop !

    ReplyDelete