Monday, January 28, 2019

Gothic Fireplace

As with the Gothic Cupboard, this fireplace/console was in Nicky Haslams Folly that was intended as my first foray into dollhouses. As with the cupboard the laser cutting was done by Puffin Design Crab Pot in England ( via Etsy ). I loved this piece which Haslam uses as a console table in his small dining room at the Folly and decided as with the cupboard that it was a key piece to copy. I made some terrible drawings, deeply ashamed of them given what Puffin did with them!!! 



 Above is the original, you can tell its been painted over several times and is oddly in wood for a fireplace to maybe it was always meant to be a dummy one.

 My terrible drawings given along with lots of photos. 

 This is what came ! I was so excited I sat up all night assembling it. It's fine birch plywood. This company is Genius ! 


 Here I have put the now assembled copy against the original. Oddly the book photos were to 1:12th scale. The top I marbled up as near to the original as I could. 


 A little fun with decor. The architectural prints came from a good old sales catalogue Simply under fine plexi with tape edging. This is a type of framing that I often use in my home. The temple on the left came from Greece and was silvered before I painted it ivory and sludged it, adding a black base. The tiny temple on the right is a metal charm set on on scrap of wood as a base. I was going to make a glass case for it, I might still do it for the Soane Room.

Malachite obelisks make from airclay. More metal and silver charms and a tiny Thai godess.

After assembling and painting I refined the design and had the whole thing done again and it sits in a box waiting to be assembled.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    it is a beautiful design.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Giac, it is only a copy but I like quirky odd furniture. I must look out all the things I had made for that project that didn't work out, I could recycle them into Ramsay House. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A BIG BRAVO!!!! I love the way that Puffin Design Crab Pot translated your sketches into kit form so that you could have the pleasure of assembling it your way-
    And OH what a Way!!!!
    I absolutely LoVE the design and the marbling of the mantle. The simplicity and the drama of the framed prints above and below it are Gorgeous!!! I also like the variety of statuary in your collection and how you've arranged it- it will be a hard choice to make of how to dress it for when the time comes, but in the meantime Stephanie, I can tell you are enjoying The Play! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss E , thank you yes they are a great team and make everything easyily. As I said I altered this piece and re sent the sketches and they did all the changes but I still have to make it up. It was a dark period and I was also getting discouraged by the build and copying an existing house was in hindsight NOT the best way to jump into this hobby/passion/Madness. They also did two similar console tables that were also in Haslam's Folly after I attempted myself to cut them out and one of them I just looked out to put into Ramsay House hallway. I will look out all these previous items and post them soon. Thanks for keeping up with me ! hugs ( as Giac would say ) Stephanie

      Delete
  4. A wonderful fireplace/sidetable. Lasercut can be a great way to make detailed builds.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's frustrating not to be tech minded and be able to use the software that comes with laser cutting, NOT to mention the cost of the machine although I know there are companies you can send your designs to and they deliver the pieces even in brass ad plexi. Puffin also did an engraved mirror for me.

      Delete