Saturday, January 19, 2019

Idle hands


I was brought up hearing that the devil made work for idle hands ! Last night I decided to SIT and Watch Something on Netflix, have a rest from 'work'. This is the result of my 'rest' ! I cut out about 200 hexagons and maybe 100 or so squares ( 10 mm 2 ) and laid them on this heavy card covered in back to front masking tape. 
In the hopes that the finished tiles will peel off the tape when all painted and dried ! 
This is a great way of moving work around and storing it meanwhile without it taking up all the table. Now all I have to do is Polly fill them, texture them, sand them, undercoat them, paint them, varnish them, grout them and then wax them up. As long as I stick to the same colour palette when painted them I should be able to compelte them if here there are not enough. 

Next tests will be 'metro tiles', then Dutch painted tiles then roof slates . 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! So productive! I bet they'll cooperate in coming free from the tape with just a few passes with the blow dryer. I often use my breath, but yours is a big job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great idea Jodi ! I did know ( a bit late ) that old masking tape that doesn't come off the roll , you can put the roll in the microwave for a few seconds and it goes soft again. ( I Don't own a microwave! ) I'm sure I will not be finishing this anytime soon ! Yesterday I went to a huge craft store and found sticky back wood sheets ! gorgeous dark wood for about 3 euros, I bought five sheets, enough for one room somewhere. I also bought a large frame at the charity shop for the backing wood which is thin mdf, cost 50 cents ! I am going to use it for the two landing in the stairwell and until they are made I cannot calculate the stair height. I am tempted to make my back Dutch door as I received the hinges from Julie's Bits and Pieces and they are great quality. But NO ,, stairs it is today , have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete