Sunday, January 27, 2019

The morning post

Last night with the best intentions I thought that I would go back to the stairs. Now if there is anything that I am really good at it's avoidance! I tidied up the table from the fireplace and going through some papers before puting them away I came across this photo of a toy horse that had caught my attention last month in an old copy of Country Living . I had considered making a nursery/school room and still might in the new second floor of Ramsay House.  

 This is just a very rough little thing, not meant really to be finished, just for fun but I thought that I would share. The base is birch ply, the body is balsa dowel, the head is Poly sheet as fine wood split each time. The legs are of course toothpics and the handle is fine obeche. The wheels are slivers of beech dowel , tricky to cut on my fret saw, I made ten to get four.
 I had trouble with the spots, I need finer brushes. I dirtied it up with a wash of dark red sludge and varnished it up. I told you I was mad, need any more proof? 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    This is so well done. I think you should finish it!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I had thought of leaving toys around the house here and there and am thinking of a 1:144 scale house on a stand to imitate the real one. If I remake this one I might use airclay for the body and put on 'finding' wheels that work !! I just bought a big bag of Watch and clock parts and some of them are amazing. I have also ordered some Watch winders to use as door nobs and they are brass and decorative. More monday hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Lovely and it could serve either in a nursery or as folk art in a grown up part of Ramsay House.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss E , yes you are right ! Many years ago I used to ask to be given for my birthday an antique wooden horse, similar to this one and for xmas an antique wooden sailboat, the kind they used to sail on ponds. When I left France for Brazil I sold the boats but put the horses into storage and now they are in my stairwell along with a pullalong wooden elephant found in the bin !! I love my horses, you have given me the idea to copy one or two of them. I will post photos to show you. Hugses Stephanie

      Delete