Sunday, January 20, 2019

The more I know man, the more I love dogs.

Two years ago on seeing my dogs inhabit an old cardboard box and feeling guilty about it, I decided to have a try at making one of those lovely antique niches I've seen here and there. I bought some rather heavy duty MDF ( too thick, made it really heavy ) and built this structure quite quickly. I painted the Inside and then did Something that you cannot see , I cut out furniture from Christies sales catalogues and glued them around the Inside walls. I also chose artwork on a doggie theme and after drilling holes in the internal base board I laid carpet ! I faux marbled the base and top which is removable. I then cut out card to fit each of the four sides and covered the card with this lovely vintage fabric that came from a couple of pillows I found on the street one day and kept the fabric. I then glued the corresponding card to the sides. I finished with some blue grey gros grain ribbon from Lanvin and antique brass nails. I will now add that my dogs never actually used this lovely niche still preferring cardboard boxes when they could. 
Sadly just over a year ago after struggling with diabètes for almost a year my little Alias went on ahead in my arms and life has been the emptier for it. I miss her every day and her niche sits by my sofa covered in books with her blanket still in it. I had two Jack Russells when I moved to Brazil in 2006, Alias and Bahia and when in Brazil Alias had two little pups, Dago and Caramel. Caramel now lives with a good friend near Aix en Provence and is a gorgeous naughty little bundle of fur. Dago has stayed in Brazil with my ex Partner along with Bahia ( the all white one ) and her FIVE pups ! My ex didn't have the heart to give any of them away and they even take in strays and have them treated before finding them homes. Here are a few photos of my little ones past and present. 


 Working on my kitchen table. As you can see the wood is rather thick ! 
 I made a doorway and a window thinking that one or the other or both would sit Inside and look out!
 This is my little treasure who bravely followed me to Brazil for over two years before coming back to me in 2008. Here we are on the huge beaches of the Camargue in the South of France when I lived in Nimes, famous for its Roman Arena. I lived near the arena which was not a brilliant choice although the apartment was great the noise was less so! 
 Here is a pile of darlings ! On top is Dago the son of Bahia the white one. Just visible is Alias who had the most wonderful character and put up with anything from her little sons. In the foreground in Caramel, very different from Dago and this ball of fur used to sit next to my computer on my desk and just look at me when I worked. I had my own couture collection in Sao Paulo before it went wrong and I moved to China. NOT my best move either but what the hell, life is short!
 This is my Alias, just awoken from sleep as you can see ! I know how she felt!
 My little treasures ! On top and being protective is Dora who is still by my side every minute of the day. Dora used to love sleeping like this, it always melted my heart. 
 My dogs today. Dora and Lady. Lady is a Brittany Spaniel mix and is three years old, Dora is ten. Funny thing, Lady has the same birthday as me! I got her from a man who had lost his job, divorced and sold his house and couldn't take care of her anymore. She was just 6 months old at the time and is a real joy. Her favorite thing is to run away into the woods, hunting anything that can outrun her although she never harms anything. She always comes back to me with the most amazing stories.

4 comments:

  1. Us creative types find numerous ways to make unique and useful things for our everyday lives - it's just too bad that the doggies thought it was too special to sleep in! I love it!
    It was great fun to see the special animals that share your life! We currently have three, two are rescues, and they are the center of my world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, whatever I need I think how could I make it first then go to Emmaus ( charity shop ) to find Something to convert. I grew up doing the same, no workmen came to our home, we did everything ourselves. Even my gran used to marble her fireplace every couple of years and she did crochet ( at least 40 bedcovers ) She made lamps out of broken glass ! One day when she was in her later 70's I caught her painting the ceiling standing on a plank of wood between the sink and the cooker ! That's where I get my crazy from I suppose ! Today I took the dogs for a walk, we avoid the woods at the moment as here everyone shoots !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hoot! Making a new designer home for your pups and yet having them still prefer the old cardboard box!
    This seems rather typical of dogs and doghouses, although I know that cats will willingly squeeze themselves into just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know ! it's like building a castle for someone to see them living in the shed !! but I suppose they are like kids, we used to love blankets draped over washing lines as 'houses' !!

    ReplyDelete