Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Staircase update


I decided to reinforce the two sides to make handling easier and also solidify the base to weigh it down when working on it and moving it around.
 Here I decided to extend the base step in order to put in a heavier newel post, I saw this was the norm on most staircases.
 Here you can see that I glued on some baseboards and filled in the back of the stairs with 3mm mdf.
 I had to end up making step by step, adjusting as I went as there was small differences and as anyone in this 1:12 world knows the smallest difference in measurements can put the whole thing out. I stained the first step to try to work out what style of finish I would use. I have the idea to paint the risers off white and stain the steps fairly dark in contrast. Much will depend on whether I put down a slabstone floor, terracotta tiles or wood in the hallway.
 Here I filled in the angled back with airdry clay, it will be backed when dry with kraft wood paper to make it smooth and even before painting. Curving the understair makes it look lighter and floating. I even think that these stairs are called 'floating stairs'. It would have been a lot easier to box in the understair, maybe include a cupboard but it would have made the hallway look narrower and darker.
 Here I decided to face the risers with the same kraft wood paper in 350 grms as I had to fiddle so much with the height of the risers that the finish didn't look neat enough.
 Here I set up the first steps into the mock up space and put as a piece of foamboard as a temporary landing space. This allowed me to realise that the landing height was too low against the future door height and above all too low to install a ceiling light under the landing. The ground floor is 30 cms high which is real world terms makes it 3m60. If I had made just one continuous stair in would have looked odd and meant that it would take up all the length of the hall corridor. I also liked the idea of a landing with a window to bring in more light.  I decided to add on another step which will make the first landing narrower but still gives me space for a window seat and bookcases. 
 Once I made the decision to add the step it was fairly easy and made me feel that I am getting the hang of stair making finally. As with most things you have to do it to work out how to do it. That made sense in my head! Next step is to make the second part of the stair that rises from the first landing to the second. I might even consider puting up a third floor in the house now that stairmaking has mastered me ! Yes that way round! Last night I ordered the bannister rail on eBay. I am still out of the style of spindles, probably plain and simple. For me it makes better sense to start with the stair as it allows me to adjust the height of the floors upstairs to match the top of the steps and not the other way around. I suppose that everyone has his or her method. As a novice I just make it up as I go, no lessons given here, just sharing the fun, the good stuff and silly stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Your staircase is looking SPLENDID, Mrs. M! I love the idea of a landing with a window for more light but from the looks of it, building a staircase was a Piece of Cake for you- BRAVO! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A piece of fruit cake maybe! hihihi !! at 6 am this morning I awoke and decided to build a third floor and extend the stairs upwards which itself will bring many technical problems ! I then mercifully went back to sleep after drawing up the ideas in case I forgot!

    ReplyDelete