Saturday, January 19, 2019

Flagging behind

As promised I did a flagstone test after the 'success' of the tomettes ! ( am I boasting ? ) I used a slightly different technique. Contrary to the tomettes that are all hand made individual tiles with many colour variations, the flagstones are generally all from the same quarry and although they do have variations in colour, its more subtle. 
I cut out random pieces of 350 grm kraft card and glued them onto a base, any old piece of card in this case. I then plastered them with poly filler and lightly sanded them afterwards. I painted them with a thickish coat of paint, matt is better I find. Once this was dry I fiddled with the usual colours, Paynes Grey ( almost black ) Burnt Umber, Ochre and white. I added a slight touch of blue and green. Then came the varnish, matt acrylic in this case and then the poly filler grouting, wiped down and dried. Final coat of dark antique wax to dirty the joints and buffed up and voila! 
Its quick and easy and cheap and FUN !!! Oh and did I say it was FUN ? 




5 comments:

  1. That does look fun! And the results are fantastic! And boasting? No. Just excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it does seem sometimes that a blog is sort of a boast, maybe a need for validation but when I started it I never thought that anyone would see it ! Happy if someone gets Something out of it , as I get so much out of this craft.

      Delete
  2. Very Very Nice Mrs. M! Your flagstones have the right colour, shape, texture and visual weight - a Job Well Done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, yes I am surprised myself as I said. I had thought of making them in clay and then considered the real slate ones you see for quite a lot of money. There is a miniaturist in LA called Chris Toledo who makes his tiles from card so I thought 'why not!' These carboard ones at least at light i nweight, easy to cut and lay and above all as cheap as chips !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.instagram.com/ibuildsmallthings/ in case anyone out there does not know this Genius boy Wonder !!

    ReplyDelete