Thursday, January 3, 2019

Mirror mirror on the wall.

After completing the building of the box and before finishing it I couldn't decide on a mantle mirror and hesitated between a small gilt one or a large painted one to match the fireplace. I remembered a style I admired in interior design books and thought that it would be in keeping with the theme. 
 I cut to fit a piece of flexible transparent plexi and after scoring the front into 16 pieces I coated the back with Krlon spray mirror after first spraying on some vinegar to 'spot age' the finished effect.
 Here I painted the back over the spray mirror with F&B mat black acrylic paint. 
 I then cut through the scored lines and decided to 'reassemble' the pieces to break up the antique effect. This turned out to be problematic as despite being more or less the same size there were small discrepancies making the re-assembly awkward! I glued the pieces onto some black stiff paper before glueing it to the wall above the fireplace. 
 Here I drilled through each intersection in order to insert brass headed nails as a decorative finish. I have often seen these mirrors in big old houses and think that they are a great way of using mirror without it looking to uniform. I would definately use this in full scale although I would need a lot more spray paint and given its cost it would be a luxury! Although you cannot see it, I had to glue a thick piece of Balsa behind the wall to give enough depth for the nails to hold.  
 The finished mirror looking a bit dull in the photo but its best to not be too shiny as it always looks out of place in an 'old' house. 
 Here I arranged my two favorite antique vases and a 'lava stone' cameo on a painted cardboard stand. I am looking forward to decorating the wall and finishing the floor and then dressing it with all my Swedish themed créations. Lots to do in 2019, luckilly there are 12 months, 52 weeks or 365 days and not forgetting the nights !

Just an extra detail. I wanted to make a gold 'filet' around the mirror and here I used some linen string that I stretched taught between two points then painted firstly with ochre acrylic paint to give it a base and make it slightly stiffer. If I was to redo it I would first coat the string with wood glue before the ochre and gold and the glue would 'bind' the fibres of the string more closely. 
 I then painted it with antique gold paint ready to insert it around the mirror but only after I decide on how to paint the frame! Patience is indeed a virtue! This technique could be used to make gold trim for anywhere in a built or on a piece of furniture. As its still basically string it can be formed as you need, curved to fit any shape. 

7 comments:

  1. The mirror looks wonderful above the mantle! Great ideas often need a few practices before you find the perfect way forward. But just having the ideas is half the battle! Looking forward to seeing the room come together in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year and thank you for your comment ! yes as I am guessing as I go it makes an interesting project!

      Delete
  2. Your room is Very Elegant Mrs. M and your antique mirror effect is certainly interesting.
    I really like the gold nail heads between the panes however I feel that without a darker frame as a color transition between it and your walls, the entire block of mirrors appears overpowering in the photos and diverts the attention away from your Gorgeous vases and the unique lava stone cameo on the mantle.
    These are just my thoughts for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Elizabeth ( that was my gran's name ! ) yes the dar mirror is distracting but as I am making it up as I go I am as yet undecided about colours! Swedish interiors are generally pale but I might go dark grey with gold trim on the mantle and mirror. For the moment I am making a monumental bookcase with built in door for the future 'house' ! pulling my hair out as I go and cut my fingers three times with new scalpel! typical!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like you work organically just as I do Mrs. M! and I've had a few false slips of the craft knife too. One day I cut a finger on both hands, and since I had run out of bandages, I improvised with a wad of paper towel wound about with green painter's tape. Very Awkward to work with as you can imagine but oh how we do continue to suffer for our craft regardless ;D
      Keep up your ALWAYS enjoyable posts! and a VERY HAPPY 2019 to you as well!

      Delete
    3. Gosh aren't you a nice commenter ! Well it's good to think that I am 'organic' when I find myself hopelessly messy. I intend to be neat but in my Frenzy it all goes to pot! Yesterday I was thinking of a bigger table but it would just mean bigger mess so maybe a smaller one would be a good idea. I also yesterday calulated the space my future house would take up and if I build it on my present table space there will be room for Nothing else so I will have to rethink the room first, frustrating indeed. I also began redecorating ( I built brick sink unit and installed old ceramic sink etc ) last year so that has to be finished ( it was an old fake dark oak kitchen with metal sink, I add that I am renting! ) I had to get up last night and draw out the top of the bookcase I am working on then up again because I decided to add a ladder ! crazy woman! Best wishes Stephanie

      Delete
    4. I add here that the kitchen is in my real big house not a miniature ! so Twelve times madder really.

      Delete