Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Chinoiserie style

The Chinoiserie style began to influence architecture and interior design all the way down the line from the mid to late 17th century to the middle of the 18th century leading into the Rococo style. There are many English country houses with at least one room lined in handpainted chinese wallpaper and you can still find today the same papers but for a lot of money as they are still hand done. I decided to incorporate a Chinoiserie theme into the main bedroom of Ramsay House and amazingly found this scale wallpaper in an old sales catalogue and photocopied it. I will make a deep red lacquer fire surround and in China I found a pair of bronze dragons to make fire dogs. Here is a sheet of the paper I am going to use and this gorgeous little Chinese 'Cloisonné' pot that was sold as a tooth pick holder !! I might make a palm tree to put inside and lose the lid. I searched for something special amongst the vases and ornaments on sale online and suddenly had the idea to search 'toothpick holders' and voila !The rug is also a recent find but I am not sure as its not great quality and it will be ages before I turn my hand to making my own rugs! I might cut this down and make pillows from it with some plain silk backing. The marble statue is in fact a form of jade and is a stamp seal. The tiny white vase I might lacquer and turn into a lamp and the tiny gold cage/temple is a brass finding. I tend to collect in advance of my actual needs for things to fit into future projects and looking for chinese things has been fun. I can't wait to start the room but not until all the stairs, doors and fireplaces are made! Patience maybe a virtue but its a damned annoying one!  


2 comments:

  1. Tis one of the many joys of this hobby in that once you really begin looking at "non-minis", many of them will fit right in with the real ones. Your chinoiserie collection is beginning to take shape and your future plans for each of them sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, yes I must stop now as the bedroom will quickly take on the airs of a Junk shop ! I will make my own rugs ONE DAY , I admit that they are useful things to do for hands that need constant work!

    ReplyDelete