Saturday, January 26, 2019

Soane Fireplace update

Almost done ! I sludged the mat black base with grey with a damaged paintbrush, tried to be shaky ( never had THANK GOD shaky hands ) (( ever need a bomb diffused in a moving train called me ! )) I then sort of stippled it again with greenish sludge, varnished it with mat acrylic ( should have waited until paint was dry) and then rubbed down with steel wool and waxed it up with antique wax. The photo looks a bit brutal but its not too bad in reality. I de-shined the slate floor slab since the photo. Only the mantle is marble, the slab and inserts are slate, or simili slate. 



 The fireplace wall. I had to stop the mirror frame lower than the ceiling as I don't yet know what coving will be used. The room will be in a darker green from F&B , probably card room green and I will be darkening the corners and shading the finished colour so it doesn't look to bland. Well that's the plan at this date, things can change. I am going to have to balance the colours over the house for visual effect. Card Room green in the lower right Soane Room, Sudbury Yellow in the hallway and Blue Grey in the Drawing Room. The Chinese Bedroom has its green based chinese wallpaper and the Empire bedroom first floor right will be in a rather monochrome stipe with painted furniture.
 My private vice, finishing things that no one will ever see ! WHY ? No idea, ask my therapist !

You can see the horizontal straps used to stabalise the birch plywood. 

6 comments:

  1. Looking good! That is a very interesting green you have painted.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ! it is the only green I had in hand so I used it for an undercoat. The finished color will be slightly darker and more antique looking. I have to order the color for this room and the hallway/stairwell which will be Sudbury Yellow. I love yellow hallways. I had planned to paint my hallway this color but never seemed to get round to it as there was always Something better to do than climb a ladder !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fireplace looks SO REAL!!!
    I honestly thought it was
    Double WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, you are always kind. I am more pleased with it than the last one which I now know will be painted again but the shape is ok. Today massive tidying of the workshop to make working space for the 'monster' and putting away things like a ton of fabric that are not what I do at the moment. Luckilly I have three huge attics ( or maybe not luckily as it makes me keep stuff! ) It's a lovely Sunny day here , almost too nice to be in, must feed the birds, honestly there are vultures that eat less than these wee buggers !

      Delete
  4. Hello Stephanie,
    The marbling is beautiful. the fireplace is really well done and beautifully finished. I think the room, with the green, will be incredible.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, I went with 'subtle' this time !! its easy to get carried away with marble. I use 'deliberate fake' marble in my house from time to time as I've always loved the primitif Swedish paint effects. I have just spent an hour unloading a tractor trailer of firewood !! exhausted ! but Worth it to have roaring fires to sit and think beside, Monday hugs to you xx

    ReplyDelete