Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Midas Touch

I know, ANOTHER post in the same day. 

As I decided to try to make a mirror for above the fireplace I looked at my stock of trims and frankly was not over impressed. A year ago I had made molds from some picture frame trim and cast them in resin but again was not impressed. 
SO
I often buy pictures from the local charity shop either for the glass or for the thin wood backing and usually the frames are not very nice industriel gold. I never chuck anything so I dismantle the frames ( throwing them on the floor at an angle usually works ).
Last night late I thought , mmmm maybe I could chop of the pretty bits into fine strips.
My first attempt I took off too little of the base wood and as the 'pretty bits' are molded onto a wood backing they just broke up into small pieces. This does necessitate a table saw as there is no other way. My table saw was about 60 euros to not impossible to buy for us. I then adjusted the guide to take off a mm of the wood along with the decorative molding and it worked. I managed to get two types of trim from one frame piece and a plainer piece from a plainer frame. Please if you do this WEAR A MASK as I am sure that the resin dust is not great for our bodies!



Here is my trove from two pieces of frame. This encourages me to look out for more frames to canibalise for other projects.


A close up of the trims. I think that they look great and will make great frames or even panelling if you have enough of the same type. You could also buy new frames to have enough of the same.


The ruler is in centimètres, the trim is nice and flat and really pretty.


This is the plainer one but again really useful for plainer picture frames. I am thrilled to have found a way to frame some pictures for the house without having to juggle with resin frames.  


I hope that this helped someone.

Huggggssss 

9 comments:

  1. You have gotten far along, and things are coming together nicely. It’s very interesting to see the tools that you use. I have a little plastic miter box and a cheap handheld saw. The two of them together are not even the correct size for each other. My angles are always wonky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris dear in the beginning all I had was a small saw and a few terible box cutter craft knives !! and I still did a lot with that! I cannot say just how much this saw has changed my life, it makes everything so much easier. I had bought a Dremel scroll saw but it's hopeless for straight lines. This Proxxon saw is fantastic and I was so pleased to see how cheap it was, even the blades. I have used it for a year and still not changed the blade yet !! Then again it depends on your imput and the amount of time you spend on the project. I live alone with no Partner or kids or friends nearby and what is left of my family is far away so all I have are my dogs and my hobby !! both give me so much satisfaction and love ,,,, huggssss

      Delete
    2. It is amazing how much you can do with just 'a pocket knife in your back pocket', but I will keep your saw in mind. One day I will get of my procrastinating bum and start my next doll house!

      Delete
  2. Perfectos esos marcos,puedes crear algo muy bonito con ellos!! Mi sierra es como la tuya!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, sí, esta sierra fue mi mejor compra, ¡me ha ahorrado mucho tiempo!
      Besos

      Delete
  3. Who would have thought that you could make miniature picture frames from life sized frames? The wood strips are beautiful and I’m sure will work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear, yes I cannot wait to visit the charity shop to see what other frames I can canabilise !! I am going to start to make the mirror to put into action this thought ! huggsss

      Delete
  4. Madame M. Canibalising picture frames? Who could have thought that this would prove so practical and usable? I love this tip! Thank you for sharing.

    Monsieur H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought that you might like the idea for your house, maybe panelling or door frames. I will try also doing this with plain wood frames to get some simple moldings. My local charity shop has hundreds of frames, mostly not very nice but seen in this way they maybe will be of interest at at 50 cents a frame its a steal if it works ,, huggssss

      Delete