Friday, September 20, 2019

Drawing nearer

Working on the drawing room of Ramsay House. I had decided to add an extra layer to the ceiling trim, I used wood from the blind as usual. This wall is not yet fixed or the top corner finished.
I drilled a hole for the cable for the 'picture light' which I ordered from eBay. I am going to put the ivory miniature under it and a table below.


Here some of the wood is dry fitted before painting.


The extra panels are glued in place and painted up to match. I cut the ceiling panel which will take the ceiling rose and chandelier. There will be another layer of mdf above this on which the next floor will be built. I think that these layers make a good cheap effect to replace pricey plaster trims. I will use some Sue Cook trims in the bedroom above this but not in all rooms and not only for economy, simply because it makes for more variation in the overall build. As many miniaturists know when we want something for our build we tend to find a way even if it means having two or three birthdays in one year!!!!! 
I cannot fix the last wall in place as I have ordered my third pair of overmantle lights from Etsy. I hope that this time I will like them and fix them in place, I am running out of options!


Showing off ! I decided very warilly to test the level of the two opposing walls before setting in the ceiling and what do you know it was perfect ! I was so pleased with myself I had to go make tea and have a lot of cake with strawberry jam on it. 


I realised that I had to fill the bookcase before glueing it in place as afterwards access would be tricky. I fished out my box of first made books, varnished the spines and glued up bundles to squeeze in to shelves. I made the books from a download via Etsy. I filled them will real pages. 


I like this view, it 'almost' reminds me of the Thorne Rooms ! The floor is not yet in place and the ceiling needs the large ceiling rose I bought from Sue Cook some time ago.
The wall colour is still under debate, one of me still lthe pink and the other me is thinking of yellow. Who will win?


The bookcase dry fitted and full of books. The table is an Etsy purchase, not sure if it will be used in the finished room.


A lower view taken from the viewpoint of the dog! The log basket is made from Carved bone, found in a charity shop in Scotland for 1 euro. 


Below, a pair of brass fenders found on eBay some time ago and forgotten in a box. I had remembered them as being too big in scale so unused. 



Turns out they are the right scale and look quite good. 


14 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, Stephanie! The rooms have a real presence about them! You should be extremely proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi always so kind. It's a process but an enjoyable one, I think that a RL house would ne quicker sometimes. Trying to get my head around moving soon and doing this but 12 times bigger ! Busy packing boxes and seeing my treasures going to 'sleep' again ,, big hug xx

      Delete
  2. Me encantan los avances,se ve todo tan armonioso,encajando cada pieza en su lugar y realzando el ambiente! Has trabajado muy bien!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias querida Pilar, es un proceso lento, pero el plan está en mi cabeza, así que no se puede hacer más rápido. No tengo prisa.beosososos xxx

      Delete
  3. A beautiful room is developing here...great job with it and all those wonderful books. Sue Cook makes lovely trims and ceiling medallions doesn't she? Packing treasures, whether miniature or real life is difficult...great luck with getting everything packed safely and moved into your new home. Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness Alayne I hadn't thought of moving the build !! yikes and all the boxes of stuff, will have to install my workroom first then fill it, yikes yikes !! hugs hugs xx

      Delete
  4. It's Absolutely Enchanting, Stephanie! There is a peacefulness and a sense of quiet time having passed within this room.
    Also the visual balance of the bookcase, the window and the log basket by the fireplace is PERFECT and I'm MAD for MORE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss E you are always so encouraging. I do from time to time step back and 'look' at it but most of the time it's 'oh need some spackle here' , or 'that gap needs fixing' or 'taht doesn't work there' ,, it's tough to be objective with your own build. When I took the full on 'Thorne angle' of the room it was late and I suddenly thought that I liked the room and would love to have a RL room like that ,,, huggss Miss E

      Delete
  5. Looks amazing! And well done on getting your walls straight. i am fairly sure that has never happened to me! Haha! I can see why you are thinking yellow walls. The room in the photos has a lovely warm creamy yellow hue, but a light blushy pink would be gorgeous. But it’s your room. Go with what you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon, yes I think that the pink will win in the end Simply because I cannot go through the trauma of mixing another colour ! I do have some lovely green silk for blinds so Nothing goes better with jade green than pink ! huggsss

      Delete
  6. Ma chere Madame M. The drawing room of Ramsay house is less and less resembling a dollshouse. It appears more and more to be an episode of County House Rescue. :-)

    I am happy for you that the walls are level. that saves you from a lot of tweaking and repairs.

    I believe that a sunny (but not too bright) yellow colour would be a great colour for this drawing room. I look forward to the coour of your decision.

    Mr. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness Mr H such a compliment thank you. I think a lot comes down the the light from the back window that helps give depth. Yes I love ochre yellow in a drawing room although I do paint nearly every living room in RL in blue grey as a backdrop for pictures. I have mixed the pink so might just go with that as the room above is green and getting the balance between rooms as in RL is tricky. Big hug xx

      Delete
  7. It is so exciting to see all your details come together. Some of your photos could be mistaken for real life homes. Quite elegant homes. I wonder who will be chosen, the pink Stephanie or the yellow Stephanie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Sherrill dear, yes sometimes I do see it as my real home! I went with the pink, maybe because the idea of mixing another colour was too offputing ! You can see the result in the last post ,, huggssss

      Delete