Monday, September 23, 2019

Light brigade

When preparing myself psychologically for the glueing down of the floor I realised that there was no light switches in the room! How to put on the lights ( is this going too far ? ) 
I love antique brass light switches but the ones I saw for sale in miniature were really bad resin ones.
So I thought how hard could it be to make some.


I used similar brass studs to the ones used for the wall cornice moldings. For the button I found some ball headed wires. I folded in the spikes, made a pre hole in a piece of mount board, put a dab of glue to the back of the stud, pushed the pin through the stud ( after piercing a hole ) and into the card. I bent the pin behind the card after cutting it short. I then bonked the stud with a Hammer to push the pin-switch into the stud.  I then did this again to make a double switch.



Trimmed down and pre painted.


A coat of pink, I wanted the switch to seem like it had seen many layers of paint over the years as I do with all the house. 


The switch in place, painted and patinated with some umber.


I stained the floor surround in case there were ( and are! ) tiny gaps between the floor and wall when glued down.


As you can see I went for the pink walls. The first reaction was not the best. I found it very baby pink but it turned out to be the lighting which was too brash. I did dirty up the colour with a wash of burnt umber which also helped.



The woodwork dirtied up and varnished and below the pink paint before the patination. It was so much easier to work on this panel than the walls of the main build. There will be window blinds and a few pictures on the walls plus a 'picture light' placed where the hole in the panel is placed.




Now you don't see it, now you do! I suddenly realised that there was a panel missing at the side of the door. Soon remedied but now has to be painted up and patinated to match the rest.


Now another dilema ! I had purchased this frame for this room but suddenly it seemed too dominant for the wall size. I'm not sure that mirrors go up over the ceiling moldings. I didn't want it to rest on the mantle so that would bring it up even more.


I fished out this round one that was going to go into the hall, it still has no glass or gold patina. I could paint it black as this would contrast nicely with the pink. 
I have decided to try to make a mirror specifically for this space and if it turns out not to be good then I will re think the problem. I still have to finish the patination of the pink then glue in the floor and wall lights. The new lights I ordered for each side of the mirror, my third lot, came but were too big for the space and stood out too far. I am going with my second choice for which I made lampshades.
This room will be quite dim despite the lighting so the pink will be a lot softer and should give a nice atmosphere once finished. There will be a large chandelier over the main room, two over mantle lights, a picture light, two table lamps and the dining room LED spot lights in all plus the light from the back window.


I thought that this might help for anyone wishing to make some switches. 
The studs came from the craft section of a sewing shop and the pins from Etsy. 

My next post should be with the floor glued in and the lights fixed in place. I have done a dry run on the weights needed to hold down the floor as it dries. I have cut a piece of heavy mdf to lay on the parquet and heavy weights to press down. I will pre glue the card on which the parquet in made and really glue the floor and hopefully the two surfaces with knit and stay in place. 

Where's the vodka? Oh I forgot I Don't drink ! 

Huge hug to all you lovely followers.









10 comments:

  1. me encantan los interruptores,te han quedado fabulosos!
    Y los primeros tonos armonizan tan delicadamente en la habitación,que ya auguran que será fantástica!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias querida Pilar, sí, me encantan las paredes rosadas ahora que están terminadas. Usaré mucho verde en los muebles para equilibrar el rosa. Beosososos

      Delete
  2. Thanks heaps for the light switch how-to. I have been 'umming & ahhring' as whether to give the shop 'the electrics' and the badly ready-made switches was one of my reasons not to. I have been looking for suitable jewelry findings but had not thought to use studs... now off to the sewing shop in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss Anna, glad that it was helpful. I had considered making one then taking a mold but each toom might require a different style of switch as I haven't yet thought through that part ! If I do change my mind then I will do a mold, lots of time !! Yes sometimes we can find things in the oddest places to turn into Something mini. I have crates of bottle tops, tubes, pill boxes and pieces of metal just waiting to come to life ! Another way to do this would be to vacuum form them over a mold as you see in many Asian videos on YT. So many possibilities, huggssss

      Delete
  3. Go girl go! Be bold! Glue that floor down! It looks great and I love the pink. And the light switches! They look so good! I have some great little cast ones but I want them in all my houses so need to make some. I love how yours turned out. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they 'do the job' but perhaps I will try to make a vacuum box and use pl sheeting to mold some, just for the fun of it. But there again the real brass does add some realism to them. xxxx

      Delete
    2. Yes, I keep thinking of ideas for vacuum formers....

      Delete
    3. There does seem to be many possibilities with this technique, making molds for example or wall panels, must give it a go and do a post ,,, I DID buy a pile of PL sheets in various thicknesses but am told that some food containers also can be used for this ,,,, huggsss

      Delete
    4. Ma chere Madame M. The light swiches are sublime! A great and creative result. It is undoubtedly more work to keep assembbling them instead of casting good copiesn. But if you ask me... The colour, sheen and discoloration of real brass will always be superior to a good paint or lacquer finish on ressin or plaster.

      So if it were up to me tobadvice you on this.... But it is all up to you of course. And often these switches were painted over in later years. So you have many choices on this.

      Monsieur H.

      Delete
    5. Mr H thank you, yes I will continue to make each one as I'm really not in a hurry over this build. You are right in saying that the brass does add an authentic touch to the switches! huggssss

      Delete