Monday, September 16, 2019

Riding the wave.

I had wanted to do the parquet in one day, a long day but in hindsite not the best idea.

You may think that this looks quite good but below you can see my boobies!

I cut all the pieces on my Proxon table saw after many attempts to get the size right for both pieces.


Another dry fit to trim the half millimetres here and there.



When it was all done I went over and filled in the gaps with slivers of wood, painstaking but worth it and better than wood filler.
These close ups don't do me any favours! 


Before and after.


Now this is the reason why I said that doing it in one day was not a great idea. I had laid out a 2 cm grid to keep me parallel in both directions but for some reason at this area it just went OFF! Yikes.
I chose to finish all the areas around this one and get back to it later. I had to cut a few pieces to fit and just accept that parquet floors are not perfect in any house and besides what are rugs for!


I hesitated over the best way to do this junction and finally went with small strips, Don't sweat the stuff that will not be seen folks.
I might glue in a small strip of brass for effect later.




It's a very basic pattern finally after much research concerning parquet design.

Another little gap, I will stain the area around the edge of the base mdf before fixing the floor so that any gap will be the same colour as the floor.


After staining, it looks rather red and will affect my final colour choice for the walls. I had intended on faded pink but I will have to do more tests. 


Here it doesn't look so red, it's more like the above photo in reality.


Now onto finishing the cornicing around the ceiling and cutting out the ceiling board on which I will glue the ceiling rose and then the final floor board in mdf on which the room above will be built. The gap between both will hold several wires. I have just sourced a 'picture light' in the UK to put on the left wall over the miniature picture I bought previously so that has to be calculated and a hole drilled.

I have once more changed my mind for the over mantle lights and until they are chosen I need to keep access to the room and not glue in the side wall. 
Glueing on the finished floor will need a lot of moral strength and maybe some alcohol but I don't drink more the pity. 
I will pre glue the mdf base and let it dry then glue the card and quickly weight down as much as I can, I think the best way is large pieces of scrap mdf over the floor then weights rather than just weights. The pre glueing will give it something to 'bite' on and stop one side sucking up the water in the glue too quickly, I will keep you posted, off to look out some vodka!

4 comments:

  1. The floor is coming along nicely. I had never thought of pre-gluing, but that makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie. I think the floor looks great. As you say, it is parquet and if it is older then some of it will have warped or shrunk, gaps are made.... it adds character! I think a peachy shade of pink would work with a reddish floor. Add a little yellow ochre to your pink and see if that works. Anyway, I think it will look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie - your floor looks to be more than a 'good save' to me. It is beautiful. I think, often when we work on things in tiny details, every little imperfection stands out like a sore toe, then once it is finished, it kind of gets swallowed up into a beautiful whole. I have no doubt it will look fabulous and you will find just the perfect shade of pink to compliment it.
    Now enjoy your drink - you have earned it.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. El suelo de parquet se ve fantástico! Y el que tenga ciertos defectos,le da sensación de usado,de pisado,de paso del tiempo...y eso lo hace aún más realista!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete