Saturday, September 14, 2019

Back in the saddle again.

Before I began Ramsay House I read many many blogs and articles, I did my research as I do for any project. Sometimes in life it stops at research because we realise that what we planned to do is beyond us. I tend to go with the saying ' He knew it not to be impossible so he did it'. 
One thing that I soon realised that not being as pliable as I was in my Younger years the idea of 'getting into' these rooms to decorate was going to be a problem. I read our lovely Giacs blog where he cracked ribs redecorating his ballroom!
I decided to make the core of the house, the hallway and stairs and landings as one tall edifice and then add the rooms on each side as I went, giving me access to the spaces.
Here you can see I cut out what is in fact a large and tall window which will be mullioned with metal cross bars. I bought some lead tape to try to make this happen. 
The wall panel slots into a gap in the side and in the end the whole side panels of the build will have an added layer of mdf added to 'knit' all the layers together and give more depth to the windows.
To balance this window when I get round to the facade I will add a dummy window to the left as was often the case in architecture of the period.



This is the view from the hallway through the drawing room to the new window. The idea being that you can peek through the side windows and get a view of the rooms from a different angle.


As I needed the wall to be deeper than the thickness of the mdf I decided to line it with finer mdf and use the gap to hide wiring etc. These are some of my antique irons, they have felt glued Under them to protect the items weighted down.





The panel set in and the second layer cut with an added piece below the window to give depth.


At this stage I decided to make the Template for the parquet flooring as this would have to be installed before the wall was fixed in place and until the wall is fixed  I cannot finish the cornicing around the ceiling and so forth. I used large pieces of kraft card with a gum paper join.


Below are two photo used for inspiration. I will add shutters at one point. I decided not to make a window seat but make the added depth higher to put some potted plants on later. 

My window is deeper than these but too late to do anything about that!


The wall panel prior to decorating.



Skirting/base boards some chair rail trim, a piece of 'blind' wood at the top to give depth to the cornicing and some mount board panels layered over white kraft card. I 'framed' the window but it still needs some extra molding.


The wall dry fitted with a chair to check scale, the book case will be glued in place knitting it all together.


Another view, realising that what I thought was going to be a small room is in fact a good size.



In this view you can see the ceiling of the dining room with a ceiling rose ready to take a chandelier , working or not, because the holes you see are for LED lighting. No one will actually see this ceiling!


Below my inspiration for the ceiling.


The panelling painted up and not yet patinated. The walls will be pink, unless that changes. The colour of the woodwork is almost the same as the hallway colour but is in reality different. it's Farrow & Ball 'Shaded White', they do so many 'off' colours.

I will say this now, DO NOT CUT OUT SOCKET HOLES AT 2 AM !! I decided last night to check my workroom before going to bed around 1h30 and had the idea before I forgot to cut out the hole for the electric socket and messed it up so spackeling I will go !

Nothing here is glued in place as the floor has to be done first.



Beginning the parquet floor, so much fun to be had, except cutting out the strips.


Below is a rough idea of what the windows will be like, stone mullions with iron and lead glazing bars. Initially I was going to do a classical Georgian English facade but on seeing so many wonderful buildings in Scotland I decided to go for an older style. I add that it will be a LOT more work.



15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say Stephanie is WOW!!!!
    I LOVE the new window and the way that you will get to see through both rooms for that added depth and sense of realism - IT'S GOING TO BE SPECIAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss S, thank you ! I am trying to catch up on time spent doing mundane stuff and finally enjoying myself again. I am in the middle of the wood floor, takes time as I have to weight down the pieces every few glued down and wait, not my strong point ! The pink walls will take some deciding : Huggsss Mrs M

      Delete
  3. This is going to be an exceptional build...love the idea of pink walls as they are warm, inviting and feminine. Each element of the build will add to its beauty and is inspirational. Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alayne my dear, thank you for your comment and for joining me here. I began this as a pure novice which is good because not knowing how hard some of it was going to be didn't deter me ! I can no longer say that I am a novice despite not yet having finished a house but it's quite a quick Learning curve. I think that in order to build a great house you have to start by building one that you can and so far it's such fun that it's all I take away from it. When I go into my workroom I lose track of everything, time, headaches, joint ache, housework !! it all goes on a back burner. Yes I think that pink is the way to go with this room with pale jade green drapes. I am half way through my parquet, fiddly fiddly more glue on me than the floor !! huggsss

      Delete
  4. Hi Stephanie. This is going to look great. All your forward planning will pay off. All your wall panels and cutting of parts is so neat and precise! I love the idea of looking through different windows or doors to see rooms from different angles - it adds so much more interest and realism. Hope your week is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon dear, yes I too love the idea of peaking into a dollhouse! As for my partiel rooms it seemed the only way for me to get around the decor. I am now changing my mind about the lights over the fireplace which impacts on the glueing in of the walls, so many parts are dépendant on each other, it's hair pulling ! big huggsss

      Delete
  5. There are so many good ideas here, again! I like that you show how complicated things can get. To have what I call 'three dimensional thinking' is a great asset in miniature dollhouse work. My favorite sentence of the post, though, is: "The walls will be pink, unless that changes." (Haven't we all been there?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HIris, I think that working for so many years in fashion when imagining a finished garment from a roll of fabric and working out what we call the assembly protocole which basically means the order in which a garment is assembled. Yes the PINK walls !! I love pink walls and even pink kitchens! I have mixed the pink ( several times ) and tested it and still hesitate mostly because painting the panelling, avoiding getting paint on the cornicing and lower panelling will be tricky but hey who said it would be easy and I am so not a 'paint it white' person, I love colour. The other thing is balancing the colours over the house so that head on it makes sense with Nothing clashing. The neutral hallway is supposed to prevent 'bleeding' from one room to another. The bedroom above this drawing room is going to be green ( unless that changes! ) as the chinese wallpaper is greenish. Décisions décisions !! hugs and hugs ,,

      Delete
  6. An afterthought: It was also interesting to see what you use to weigh down the wood floor while in progress. I once used a large electrical transformer. That thing was heavy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These old irons are easy to find here and cheap but I am still looking for small but heavy weights to hold things down like when I do flooring as every few pieces of parquet I need to weigh them down as they tend to lift. I think that in future I will paint the card base with a thin mix of pva so that when I glue the wood onto the card it 'takes' without the card sucking up the glue and making the pieces lift. When I glued the wallpaper in the dining area I did this and it helped a lot. You learn as you go, more by mistakes than success ! huggss to Iris

      Delete
  7. Oh my this is so interesting to follow. The view though the rooms is so lovely already. I am so intrigued in following your 'build by room'- it makes such perfect sense, but I can see how it would require that very meticulous planning that you clearly (except the 2am episode which I can totally relate to) manage to a T.
    Thanks heaps.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anna, thank you, yes I think that it's important to take our personality into the build and I can get disheartened with some projects when I hit a snag and this build was to important for that to happen. I know that I will have to wait until near the end to actually see the house as a whole and not a constant building site but it will be a fun day when the last room goes up and I can get on with the facade. The facade will be a whole other thing !!! but this drawing room is the more complicated one as forstly it is my FIRST room, still working things out and the room above it is simpler, wallpaper and carpeting for exemple, no parquet or panelling. The Library on the other hand will have panelling, build in bookcases, hidden doors, complicated parquet and a decorated ceiling but that a long way off !!! big hugggsss

      Delete
  8. I just love watching you build. A wall, a staircase, a hallway, a window. The only view of the whole house is in your head, yet each increment of progress has amazing results. Thank you for sharing your unique approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but I do forget that although I 'see' it as a finished build most people jsut Don't, one day they will or people like you my dear can imagine it done ! If I move in the spring it will have to go on hold for a while as I pack and move and unpack, hopefully for the last time ! huggsss

      Delete