Thursday, December 6, 2018

Happy Christmas.


Happy Holidays

I grew up in the Highlands of Scotland so there was always snow at Christmas and we made snowmen and we sledged down the hill opposite our house in the 'horses field' in the dark wearing home knit balaclavas. Up that far North night-time comes at 3 pm but in the summer there is almost no darkness! We put up our tree Twelve days before xmas and took it down Twelve days after and we kept the same décorations for many years. I then grew up and moved away to places with no snow and where Christmas was full of 'commerce' and flashy décorations that were changed each year and tradition held no sway. Today I live in a large old house with a huge fire and although there is no more snow at Xmas I go back to those good times and remember the smells of pine needles and gingerbread and crackling logs and I watch kitsch movies and listen to Bing Crosby. This year I will be in the Highlands with my mum and there might be a tree and there might be snow, so I wish anyone reading this a happy time with jingle bells and gingerbread. God Bless.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you fully enjoy your nostalgic visit! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, you all too ! its not the same now it doesnt snow like it used to ! as a kid the snow was higher than us ! happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you Stephanie best wishes Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it will be quiet, arranging all the new materials I bought ! and a ton of good books! perfect ! wishing you a good future new year Tony xo

      Delete