Sunday, December 2, 2018

Tea time

I thought that I would have finished the small cupboard I began yesterday to post but it is proving a lot trickier than predicted, almost flying out the window twice! 
So here are some photos of one of my first projects, Tea Caddies.
I love antique Georgian style tea caddies and boxes and thought that it would be fun to try to make one. I still hadn't mastered the small gestures needed but as it was only a test for myself and not for 'show', it didn't matter. Here is a small collection of what I did around the same time. I had first found, photoshopped , miniaturised and printed out many different 'Domino Papers' and assorted antique wall papers, mostly taken from an old sales catalogue.

 This was one of the first one, make from card with a card lining and lids. The top nobs are the glass heads of sewing pins cut to fit and glued in place. This card can be sanded so makes a good base.
 In this one you can see the scale, something I don't always think of doing.
 Here I covered it in miniature 'Florentine book end paper', rubbed down and waxed up. The pin head nobs I painted gold.
 I painted the insides ochre yellow and filled them with real tea that I chopped up fine, Black Russian in one side and Orange Peeko in the other.
 Here is a single tea box with a small copper finding and ring with an embroidery thread tassle.
 A view of the interieure before I added the lapsan souchon tea!
 Here is the first one and in front a small one as when I scaled up the first one it seemed too big for a tea box. Tea was expensive back in the 18th century so they didn't keep it in large containers. I then made the smaller one using the same method but taking more time as it is smaller and more fiddly. It measures about 12 mm high.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs M. I have started reading from your oldest post to this one. The fact that I am only replying now is not because they weren't interesting. They were so! I have learned quite a lot about them and I can't wait to try some of your projects myself. I love your hands on aproach on miniatures. Very creative. These tea caddies are another great example of that.

    Thank you

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , goodness you go through them all ! I read all yours last night and found so many similar thoughts. When I began I used anything to avoid actually starting the house but it turned out to be a good thing because as I was physically not making it, I was contemplating it and now I have it in my head. I will make a lot more mistakes but that's how we learn. When I began blogging it wasn't to be read, it was for me and anyone who by chance found it. Even if no one read it I would still do it. Maybe when the house is actually being built it will be more attractif. I decided early on the just have FUN and not to worry.

      Delete
    2. Now I have read them all. Great posts and it is great to follow your creative process. And I agree, for me as well the blogs main reason is to have some kind of diary of my thoughts and plans and acquisitions. Apart from the sketches, lists and notes I have on paper. It is however very nice to see that other people take interest in our endeavours and give moral support and advice. Btw. Sara Rothe who made two of the babyhouses we can see in museums today, kept meticulous records in the 18th century about what she did who made what, at what cost, and which miniatures belonged in which rooms. So we stand in the line of an aold and noble tradition. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Thank you , when I discovered miniature blogs in the beginning I spent days going through them and taking notes. I spent many hours reading all Giacs posts and Josje's posts and many others, too many to note here. I got a bit nervous when Josje said that her blog host has shut down and she lost her blog ! As you say its our history and besides being useful also to others it's a good reminder for us of how we did things. Thanks for the S Rothe info, must look her up. huggss

      Delete
    4. Yes, Josjes message had me worried too. If you are interested in her work, here are the links to Sara Rothé's dollshouses.

      https://izi.travel/nl/fcaa-het-poppenhuis-van-sara-rothe-in-het-frans-hals-museum/nl

      https://www.gemeentemuseum.nl/nl/collectie/kabinet-met-poppenhuis-van-sara-rothe

      Huibrecht

      Delete