Thursday, March 14, 2019

See saw

This morning I received this life saving machine much longed for and needed. Now most of you must already own something like this but I'm like a kid showing of her new toy!
Until now I had been doing my best to cut out straight pieces with my Dremel scroll saw but lately it has been not doing a great job. Scroll saws are not made for straight lines. 
I found this one on Amazon and amongst the many on offer at varying prices I chose this one because it seemed simpler and had a metal base and was also a good make for tools. 
 It measures 27 x 20 x 9 cms so is really small and easy to place in a small workspace. I paid a little over 100 euros for it but worth it for all the wobbly lines I will not be cutting from now on. It has guides so cutting multiples of pieces will be easy as pie.
 This is my Dremel scroll saw purchased 18 months ago and well worth the price also about 100 euros. It can be taken off the table and hand held but I have never tried that as yet. 
Both can have vacuum suction for sawdust extraction which is essentiel as most people do not realise how Dangerous fine wood dust is to the health. Some wood types are especially carcinogen and masks should be worn. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    That looks like a great little saw. I have to look into one of those myself.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac, yes there are many on offer at various prices but I've tested this one and its great, quiet and simple to use. My next purchase is a small sander ! huggs Stephanie

      Delete
  2. Great tools Stephanie! I have the Dremel Moto jig saw, as well, and the one drawback like you said is that there is no fence or guide attachment for cutting straight lines. I have rigged up my own using wood clamped to the sides with mediocre results.
    I have a mini table saw, as well. Mine is made by MicroMark but looks identical except for color and label. The benefit is having the fence for perfectly straight cuts. The drawbacks to this saw are that the table is only 3" wide on either side of the blade. I would love for mine to be 10" on either side of the blade. Also, the blade being only 2" means that the maximum cut depth for wood is about 1/2". I'd like an adjustable cut depth and a cut capacity of 1". The other handy saw I have is a cut off saw. Micromark makes one but I got a cheap knock off through Harbor Freight. It too has it's drawbacks with depth and miter allowance, but is great for cutting multiple trims up to 3/4". I am sorry that I am too lazy to look up the millimeter equivalents! Now that I have done this for several years, boy could I design the perfect tools where these fall short! But it beats cutting by hand and has really expanded how to make my mini dreams come true!
    Have fun with your new toy! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you are equipped Jodi ! I hesitated about buying this, no idea why as the amount of wood I have wasted trying to get a straight cut on my jig saw was terrible! I bought a classic had held saw for cutting out the larger pieces of mdf in the construction of the house and have just bought a small one to help cut out windows. I now would like a mini sander , not your usual 'girly' purchase! I once had an argument with a diy salesman who kept telling me to tell my 'husband' how to use the sander I was buying so I told him that my 'husband' could not bang a nail in the wall and it was me who was the diy in the house ( just as my mother and gran were! ) I've tested this new saw and am in love ! for multiple cuts its great ! huggs Stephanie

      Delete