Sunday, March 31, 2019

Howard Carter move over

Howard Carter was the archeologist who uncovered the tomb of Tutankamon in Egypt in NOV 1922. Today I feel a bit like him still digging through boxes. I still have about 20 large ones to open and deal with and make some new finds. It is strange the things that I have no memory of ! 
This little lacquer table, dining room height is a lovely find as it could go in the Chinese room! The birds are I think favours or 'Feves' and are prettier than the ones they make now, they must be at least 15 years old.


 This was one of the first things I customised for a dolls house I fantasised about years ago. It had been plain wood so I antiqued it. The handle is in the drawer ) They still make these today but in comparaison they are much 'heavier' and uglier and you see them everywhere. The little deer is from the Metropolitain Museum in New York, its gilt bronze. The little dog is also a cake favour, imagine choking on that ! 
 The little porcelaine basket of flowers I have had for many years, I always loved the scale and detail even before imagining a doll house to put it in! It might be Chelsea China, its signed. 

 Now many will think this an odd thing to collect but there were times in my life when I had very little cash and I wasn't going to let that stop me collecting things! Over the years I've collected many things that cost almost nothing and now are a lot more pricey ! I have antique photos, antique toys and bears, almost 500 handbags if not more ! Empty leather jewel boxes and these objects below ! The French call them 'poires', which means pears and they usually hang near the bed to put the ceiling light on and off . I began as you do with one then the others followed me home over time. I still find them sometimes but not for prices I am willing to pay and besides just how many do I need?  
 I used to display them in a pair of cristal vases on each side of a console table. Today they are going back into a box. 
 My elephant collection is growing as I open more boxes. How on earth did I start collecting éléphants ? I think it began with this pair of white painted spelter ones bought in Portobello about 25 years ago for all the money I had in my purse then. There was Something about them that I just couldn't leave on that stall table. 
 A bulkier and heavier thing to collect but again these were bought years ago when no one was interested in Church things. There is a large silver pair in a box somewhere to come still. My favorites are the brass ones as the design is just right for my taste. The white ones are marble and weigh a LOT! Luckilly I was younger and fitter when I bought these and thought Nothing of carting home 20 pounds of finds. Today when going to the flea market I first weigh up the article and if it's crazy heavy I leave it no matter how cheap or cute. Ah old age you kill me. 

But the question again remains, who needs 4 ( or more ) pairs of Church candlesticks ???

4 comments:

  1. A mi me parece muy divertido coleccionar cosas y tus colecciones me han encantado,sobre todo la de las "peras",nosotros,al igual que los franceses,también los llamamos así! recuerdo en la casa de mi abuela que todas las habitaciones tenían la suya en la cabecera de la cama!
    Si no hay problema de espacio,coleccionar es muy satisfactorio!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Mis amigos solían preguntar si había algo que no recogí! Comencé a coleccionar osos de peluche, pero la gente comenzó a darme unos horribles cuando tuve a Stieff real, así que me detuve. Hoy no tengo espacio para agregar más cosas y he comenzado a hacer miniaturas, por lo que toma el lugar de coleccionar.Besososos

      Delete
  2. Hello Stephanie,
    I am really enjoying getting to know your collections. You have so many different interesting items and a very good eye for quality.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I have to find space for 200 or so art and design books so some things have to go to make space, not an easy task. I cannot wait to get back to minis to relax a bit. I am due to go up to Scotland at the end of the month to see my mum who is just home from hospital so maybe no minis until I come back. Huggs xxx

    ReplyDelete