Thursday, March 7, 2019

Fire the architect

I did SAY that there would be other boobies !! Well here you have one. 
I began building the house base in 10 mm plywood reinforced underneath with 20x20 mm straps to stop it from warping. I was happy to finally have moved on to this 'real' build. THEN I took out the fireplace wall I had built for the drawing room and placed it in the designated space and suddenly the large drawing room looked tiny, so not the point. I imagined that a room that was 36 x 60 cms was quite large for a dollhouse but really ! I scribbled the real size of a fireplace alongside a 180 cm person and of course they are both the same height! So in short the wall, the hearth and the fireplace will all be scrapped AGAIN !! That is life folks!

 Here you can see the base in ply. It measures 60 cms deep ( 7m 20 ) x 100 cms wide. Each of the two rooms will be 36cms ( 4m 32 ) wide and the drawing room on the left will have a dining end separated by an archway. The total surface of the drawing room in RL is 31 m2 so reasonable. The 'Soane' study on the right of the ground floor has the huge bookcase wall with the gib door that leads to what will now be a kitchen. It was going to be just a pantry but since I have deepened the house I now have room for a kitchen and as the dining room is across the corridor it makes sense. 
All rooms on each side will open at the back as well as the front. this way I can work more easily ( no Giac rib breaking ) and access for decorating. The blue tape indicated doors and windows. The frontage will have four ground floor windows plus the main door and then five on each of the second and third floors. Each floor is a different height , 30 cms for the ground floor then 25 and then 22. The top floor will be mansarded. 
I glued 2x2 cms straps under the ply then reinforced with screws top side. Each room will be built on a separate piece of 5 mm mdf that will be glued onto the plywood base. 

 The backwall panel with the Dutch door opening cut out and one of the internal walls that the stair sits against. You can see the mansard cut away at the top. On the right you can see the other fireplace I made for the Soane room and strangely it is to scale. I find the mdf quite shaky but hopefully in the end it will all hold up. I have receeded the internal walls by 10 mm from the front to allow me to finish the floorspaces that never seem to look good from the front. The reality of it is just hitting me and makes me SOOOO admiratif of all you wonderful builders.

6 comments:

  1. Throw nothing away since you never know when something which didn't work in one space, may work perfectly in the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'out' box in fuller than the 'in' box !! but yes things can work in different contexts. Everything I have done has served as a teaching/Learning aid so far so no time has been wasted. The scale of the house is hitting me hard !! trying to anticipate walls and heights and openings etc ,,,, but now I know that I can make doors its easier ,, huggs to you Elizabeth xo

      Delete
  2. De los errores se aprende para la posteridad! y como te dice Elizabeth,no tires nada que puede servir para cualquier otro proyecto!
    De momento todo se ve encaminado,ánimo y a por ello!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, creo que es divertido! Me ha enseñado una buena lección y ahora tengo más cuidado al hacer algo. Este es un pasatiempo tan divertido como estarás de acuerdo. abrazos

      Delete
  3. Hello Stephanie,
    I must say I really like your plans for the house. I am glad you thought about the depth of your rooms...take great care of your ribs ;) It is a shame that the fireplace does not work in the drawing room, but it might be just the thing in another. On my travels I have often been surprised by the height of fireplaces.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right there are huge fireplaces but this one will dwarf the room and it will look out of scale so no worries I now know how to make them !! It will go in the booby box which is getting bigger by the day ! huggs S xo

      Delete