Monday, February 4, 2019

Console-ation prize

It has been a few days since my last post and even then it wasn't a 'mini' post. I began sorting out my workspace to integrate the 'house' when it became a reality as I knew that it could not be easily moved and should have good lighting and not get in the way of building anything else. I bought LOTS of plastic boxes making it easier to find things and then things got the better of me with dozens of trips to the attics, then emptying the big bedroom of its junk into the same attics, I have about 80m2 of attics, NOT a good idea, especially given the outbuildings I also have! 

As with the gothic cupboard and fireplace/console, these two similar console tables are in the Interior designer Nicky Haslam's 'Folly' House and when beginning to copy this house as my first project these were one of the first pieces I decided to do. It was a time when I only had stock card and a scalpel and some paint and had almost no idea what I was doing.  Luckilly the amazing Puffin Design team would come to my rescue later. 


 These two tables look similar, one rests against the wall and the second one has back legs supporting it independantly. One has a fake marble painted top and the other a tiles top.
 These are the drawings along with photos that I sent to the 'Puffins'.

 Before I discovered the Puffin Crab Pot design team I decided to 'have a go' myself and made this version from card with the use of many bad words and cut fingers ! As a test it's not so bad but the scale was all wrong, too low, too narrow, too shallow.
 The great thing about miniature work is the learning curve so that made it worthwhile. I was still trying to make my gestures small and test the limits of my abilities and patience.
 This was it painted as near as I could imagine from the photos. 
 Here below on the left is one of Mr Haslam's tables in his dining room and on the right the same table recently seen in a magasine and edited by Julian Chichister. Before it on the cutting mat are the two versions laser cut by the Puffins in birch plywood. I was going to replicate the room using the two different consoles in the one room as the original layout. 


This is Console A as cut by the Puffin Crab Pot design team, lovely people indeed! As you can see it has sides but no back panel as the orginal.
This is Console B with its sides made to lean against the wall with no back legs. Both fronts are identical. 
I came across this when sorting out the room, which is why I have assembled it and posted it! I had been wondering what sort of console table to put in the hallway of Ramsay House and remembered these. I might still copy the Folly house one day and rearrange everything. 

Here if you notice I used two front panels and two full sides making the second console redundant.
Given a coat of dark oak stain before painting. This way if I choose to 'rub down ' the paint the dark wood will show through and give it an antique look. 
I first coat of F&B ' Clunch'. All water based stains and paints will innevitably 'raise' the grain of the wood, neccesitating fine sanding between coats. What you cannot see here is the fact that I broke off the leg when sanding later last night, distracted ! 
I gave the top a coat of green and am leaving it like this until the colour scheme of the hallway has been worked out. I might put a second round table in the entrance part of the hall so I need to have all the paint and panelling done to choose colours. I know that there will be a large mirror over this table and I will place on it some orchids and plants and a silver tray for keys and letters. 
This table is a simple country piece, overpainted and slightly scruffy, everything I love!
I can thoroughly recommend the Puffin Crab Pot design team for any fine laser work, even pieces and elements for a bigger project. They are quick to reply and very kind in their correspondance. They sell kits and finished pieces and are more than open to commissions. I am working with them on the windows, finding materials that can take fine detail and still be strong enough to manipulate. I am hoping to make the windows open but maybe that is a dream that I should keep as such! 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PuffinDesignCrabPot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

6 comments:

  1. What fun! I love that you are finding real life pieces that you love and finding ways to make them happen for your mini house! Challenge is one of the most fulfilling aspects to our beloved hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does seem rather indulgent after years of hard 'work', this is a joy ! Yes I want to fill the house antiques and modern furnishings as I would my own house. The lovely English couple from Masters Miniatures is making the 3 Eames stools ! Tomorrow I am going to make a Chinese cabinet, I KNOW that I should go back to the stairs but I still need to decide on the scale of the internal doors in order to cut out the openings as long as its flat !

      Delete
  2. Hello Stephanie,
    It is great that you are filling your house with pieces you love rather then just what is available. These tables are lovely and the finishes you have made are beautiful.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Giac, yes I go through magasines like World of Interiors and House & Garden and many of my books and 'shop', making lists of things I like and can eventually make or have made. I am usually dissapointed by shop stuff, some are good but now that I have found some artisans in England that are wonderful at interpreting my ideas it makes all the difference. I will never be a great furniture maker like those we admire but as long as its fun ,,,, today I am starting a chinese wardrobe as it has been eating away at me , still puting off the stairs as I cannot decide on the internal door, to buy or make or adapt before cutting out the holes as long as the wood is flat, I've seen other struggle with cutting out afterwards and I remember your sore ribs !! hugses to u

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your furnishings are going to be unique to Ramsay House and the envy of the entire neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ! I am working on the Chinese bedroom armoire at the moment NOT making the stairs. Today will finish my first attempt at drawers and then putting hinges on the door, Something I am NOT comfortable with at all but since I found those micro nails it might go better than the superglue version ! huggs

    ReplyDelete