Monday, July 1, 2019

Trimming and decorating.

The weather, thank goodnesss, is much cooler almost normal for June in France.

Still trying to find ways to make an original plaster trim in the drawing room of Ramsay House. Trying also to do it with what comes to hand rather than go buy some gorgeous Sue Cook ceiling trim! 
I like a challenge and miniatures are all about challenges.

I was given a box of decorative metal clothing studs that had potential.


Maybe you all know this product OYUMARU, if not it's an interesting and very useful way of making molds from this sort of item. It comes in blocks and once immersed in hot water for a few minutes it becomes maleable and can be kneeded then pushed over the item.
 I nailed three identical studs onto a piece of scrap wood and pushed the Oyumaru over it. it hardens quite quickly once cooled and then you can do as I did and push some airdry clay into the mold as many times as needed. 
The GREAT thing about this product is that when you have taken your mold, you can re-heat it and use it again and again !


Once dry you can trim and sand them and ensure that the backs are flat before glueing.


I used this clay as it came in a craft sale for 2 euros. It was the first that came to hand and maybe a whiter airclay would have been better to imitate plaster. This clay imitates stone when dry.


I glued them onto the flat area of my ceiling trim with Tacky Glue and left it overnight before painting.


Once painted up with gesso it looks the way I imagined. 
I added a piece of wood to the top of the lovely Sue Cook fireplace because I chipped it ! 
Next job will be to paint up and patina the fireplace. 

The picture frame molding was too short for the fireplace wall width so I cut and added a piece at a 45° angle which better hides a join than a straight cut. 

The mirror now looks a bit tall but once hung on a slight slant it should be fine.


I now have to finish the back wall with the openings and continue the ceiling trim around the room.
I am thinking of painting this room a sort of faded pink colour with off white doors and ceiling.

Some pictures from Pinterest.





10 comments:

  1. Hi there, your 'plaster trim challenge' turned out a treat! I had not heard of OYUMARU before, but it certainly looks like a very handy product to use.
    The idea for the wall colour is stunning. That is saying a lot coming from a very 'not pink' girl.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anna it's great because it takes precise molds and quickly and of course can be re-used over and over. I Don't remember where I saw it but when I went to a big craft store in Paris to buy some the salesgirl said that she had never heard of it and suddenly just behind her I saw a shelf of it ! It comes in several colours and I think it's made from seaweed ??? hugggss

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the tip regarding OYUMARU, like Anna, I'd never heard about it before, but will definitely be using it for future projects. Your mouldings look fab - what a great way of personalising things to your own taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MM , yes I took the idea from an old Georgian house and adapted it. I replied to Anna about the Oyumaru, it's really great and innexpensive to buy and it's re-use also saves money but it's the easy use that is the best. Huggss

      Delete
  3. Wow Stephanie! I think you've found a winner there with the molds and I bet your mind has exploded with other uses for the stuff! I had never heard of this stuff but can't wait to have a play with it.
    The crown molding you've created looks lovely, and I LOVE the pink and off white color idea.
    Now that the heatwave has finally broken, midnight work sessions will become a choice again rather than a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Jodi, I have tried the two part mold stuff and air seems always to be trapped and spoil the casting and it's expensive ! This seems to cling to the object and no air ! Pity it comes in small blocks, when I saw it I bought ten packets in two colours so still have some stock as it lasts ! I Don't know if you can cast in resin with it or metal, I was going to use the same mold to make door nobs ,, will let you know. Today more walls going up and a lot of unseen reinforcing. At this rate the house will weigh more than me and that's a LOT ! hihihi huggsss

      Delete
  4. Muy buena idea usar las chinchetas para la decoración,ha quedado genial!!
    Ese tono rosado me gusta para la pared,es un tono muy luminoso!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Pilar, sí, creo que el color de rosa es una luz suave y feliz en una habitación. Hice el color esta mañana. Besososossos Stephanie

      Delete
  5. Hello Mrs. M. I Love the way the cornice turns out with these moulded roundels. Already the fireplce and mirror give the room much character. I like the faded ink for the colourscheme. I look forward to see the pink of your choice.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr H , yes it is finally coming together. You will see when you begin to build, in the begiining it seems that it's a LOT of planning and preparing but then it takes off. This morning I began making the PINK ! I found that I had bought a tin of pale pink mat acrylic house paint ( for some reason ) and when I tried it, it was bright Bubble gum ! I then put in some white, still Bubble gum, then some black and it turned mauve ! horrible , so I put in a half tube of yellow ochre and then more white and it came out perfect ! I do not like mauve or purple unless in flowers of course. I am using some F&B dirty white for the woodwork and then a linen white for the ceiling. I THEN changed my plans but I will make a post as it will be long to explain and photos are better !!! huggsss

      Delete