Sunday, July 7, 2019

Some summer fun


With my last post I felt that I had ended in a sad note and it is not my intention to share such things with you. So I decided today to make a random post of fun things to set the tone for the summer.

This is one of my favorite photos. It was taken in a tiny village in India where I had gone with my future husband and his family to pick up their uncle who was a priest and was going to marry us in a temple. When I arrived there were two children and slowly word got out and they came running over the fields to have their photo taken with me. Indian people love having their photo taken especially with foreigners. I ended up with a tiny baby in my arms much to the chagrin of my future mother in law who saw this as an invasion. They were all polite and lovely kids and wherever I went in India I had several kids and dogs always with me. 
I note that my hairdresser had accidentally dyed my hair red some days before ! 


This is a dear friend Guillaume, he is like my son and now lives in Hollywood. I was going through a rough time in Sao Paulo where I lived and he came to take me out for a walk. We were in the park and when we saw the photo with the star it seemed like a sign.


Guillaume and I in Hampi India. Poor boy had a tummy upset and was feeling terrible. As usual I have a dog, we called them all Ladoo, which means marzipan in Hindi. The heat was crushing but I was fine with it. There is  a saying that only 'mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid day sun' !!


We stopped over on our way to Bangalore at this tiny restaurant that had just basic things but they were delighted with our visit and treated me like royalty.


Now as regards dogs, you can spend a fortune on expensive items and in the end they are happy with a cardboard box !!


This was taken in Brazil. Alias my little treasure had given birth to two very different dogs ! 
Caramel , the fluffy, butter wouldn't melt in my mouth and Dago the goofy mad allover the place dog. Alias looks like she cannot believe she made them! She was a wonderful mum.


Caramel was like a fluffy toy and he loved to sit next to my computer and look at me!


My other dog Bahia loved dressing up and would sit for hours as we draped her with fabric. She stayed with my ex in Brazil and has since had 5 Puppies that they all kept ! 

I came across this photo on the internet, it is my house some time ago. It is one of the biggest in the village so it lay empty for ages as no one wanted such a big place.





A random photo of my bedroom looking dust free for once. The commode was found in a junk shop for 40 euros, the embossed leather box on top was 20 euros, bought in the rain to 'save ' it! The lamp was found, needs a better shade and the Shepherd and Shepherdess came from a Junk stall in the South of France. 


Some of my vintage textiles, I have a LOT more than on this photo.


I buy old small suitcases to store embroidery threads and sewing things.


My lovely Lady with her pink bandana wondering what all the fuss is about and when are we going out to play ball ? 


Dora for once not moving during a photo.






Caramel today, I am looking after him for three weeks.
My ex and I gave him to his mum as a pup, he is a terror!


Looking good as he is not supposed to be on the sofa. This was taken at his home. The pillows I made from an old Brazilian photo of a school from 1928. I had it printed onto egyptian coton.


I love building things from scrap. A friend was throwing out a table I saved the legs. The front part I found in the street in Paris. The top finish is an old book of French Grammar that I took apart.
The pyramid holes are for passing cables.


I love to collect old French bronze decorative pieces from furniture.


I made a coat last year from some test fabric from Louis Vuitton. I was trying out the collar. I since finished it and put it away and forgot all about it as usual.




A friend asked me to make some emboidery samples, I used some felt and beads, its such an easy technique to use and is quite effective . 


I made this little pillow for a friends 60th birthday. She is one of those people who receive amazing jewellery and cars etc as gifts. I cannot compete, nor would I want to so I made her this and she thought it was her best gift.




Turning vintage pieces of fabric into pillows. I added the points to make it less plain. I used some lovely feather pillows to fill them that a designer was throwing away!


The back of another pillow showing a label that I used in Brazil.
Mini Murray.
It was for a second line of fun clothes. My stay in Brazil fell part at that time and they were never used. I have 200,000,000 of them !! Feels like that !


Two years ago I decided to make some purses and totes and pocket books and sell them on Etsy.

This one is an assembly of scraps, I never seem to thow anything away. I sewed them onto a piece of base linen before making into a pouch.


This is another technique, I love trying things out. Below you can see how it came out after washing it, it gives an interesting texture.



The finished pouch.


Notes on assembly. As usual I always make the hidden Inside parts as well as the outside although rarely seen. This is the lining with inner pocket. I still do it in the dollhouse.


This is another technique. It's calle 'Boro' and comes from Japan. It is bascially laying pieces of cloth over a worn place or hole and running stitches in some contrasting thread back and forth over the area. It has many possibilities. 



Another pouch in preparation with two photos taken from the Brazilian coton.


I emboidered her lips red and gave her some pearls and the boy a bow tie !

Another version with the finished pouch below. I added a small heart filled with lavender grains to each bag in the same fabrics as the lining.



Another version with its lavender square this time.


How to add on some biais when you run short. I used the biais to finish the inside of each pouch. When all these pouches and purses where finished I sort of forgot about them and ended up giving several away and as for the other ? Somewhere over the Rainbow of my workspace.


You might think and rightly so that I am all over the place with my creations but until I began making minis I searched for something that would 'hold' me and give me complete satisfaction and now with my now passion and craft I have found that. I still enjoy sewing, I learnt when I was 6 years old so that is a long time pulling a needle folks!

I hope that you all have a lovely summer somewhere or even nowhere. 

Huggs and love to all you lovely folks. 

7 comments:

  1. What an interesting and eventful life you lead, Mrs. M.! I have happily spent most of my life on the couch (figuratively speaking - well, not really), but I am absolutely in awe of anyone who goes 'out there' and conquers the world. It's not news to you when I tell you that you are so very creative! And you just seem to stumble upon treasures again and again. I enlarged the photos and saw that you have a book by Ben Pentreath, a hero of mine. Of course, he does not know about his hero status. He has established the most gorgeous garden, which he shares on his blog. You just gotta love that man! I like your house with its windows looking out in all directions, but my 'favorite thing of the day' is the blue tile on the bookshelf. Thank you for sharing all this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iris, yes I love Pentreath, I have two of his books. His homes and garden are wonderful. Incidentaly he just lost his father after losing his mother this year too. Yes I do get around, life is to short not to try new things ! For me anyway ! As for the blue tile, I do have a terrible story, it was one of my treasures as I love old tiles and this one was special. Being careful when moving it I dropped it ! broke into three pieces but I did repare it and now you cannot see it but at the moment it's in a box as I do tend to chop and change things. I have one more storage unit to empty, four already done this year ! SO MUCH stuff. Years ago I used to see real old Delft tiles in Brugges and Amsterdam for sale and not for a lot, now it's impossible, at least for me to buy ,,,, but I do keep looking in charity shops !! huggss Iris xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing some of your life and creativity with us, Stephanie! You have a fascinating mind, always seeing the potential in everything, and I imagine it's difficult to get your house guests to ever want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi, my house is a total mess of collections, things waiting to be repaired, things waiting for a home/space etc, it can be overwhelming to say the least. People gernerally say that it 'looks like me' ( not sure it's really a compliment! ) and that the decor suits the house. I am planning to move in 18 months time to a more southern climate but not too South either. I had planned on Portugal as I speak the language but I feel my age and dealing with administrations in a foreign language AGAIN is offputing. Time will tell me what to do. I believe in signs. Take care Miss Jodi, huggss

      Delete
  3. Dear Mrs. M. You have offered us a lovely glimpse of your life and what keeps you busy. I feel that it is important that, even with the sad things that inevitably happen from time to time we must not loose focus of the people and things that bring us happiness and joy. :-)

    Mr. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr H , I do tend to be surrounded by people who see life as half full and complain a lot and I am so the other way inclined. Sad and bad things happen but so many good and great things too. Every morning I am happy and fortunate to arise to loving dogs and a beautiful garden, to eat and work and read and dream and when sad things happen all those geat things are even more important. I am blessed. Bless you too Mr H, have a nice summer, I am on my way to Scotland passing through one of my favorite cities on the way, Amsterdam !! Dream of living there one day ,,,xxx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete