Friday, July 5, 2019

Three days in the life of a mad woman.


To the left of the dining room portion of the main drawing room there is a niche that cried out for a hutch/dresser to put all the gorgeous china I do not yet have. I add that it is a corner that no one will see unless you are ten centimètres high or have a long neck and small head! That wasn't going to stop me making something and in my mind it was a case of one day start to finish. This is also a way of learning and it's all about learning and progressing. I did look for one already made but found nothing I either liked or could afford.
As the corner is not very accessible I made a copy of the space with white foam board as I have done in previous projects. This allows me to set it aside, check the fit, turn it this way and that etc.

The contruction, wood glue and kraft gum tape to make sure it keeps its shape.


I used strong card for the back, economy oblige. The rest of the build came from four wine box lids my friend found in the street so all in all a super economical build. This piece was going to become part of the build and not a separate piece of furniture. I was inspired by Georgian china cupboards as Ramasy House is an old Georgian manor house.


The sides are 'stepped' with shelves getting smaller as you climb. The inside I used F&B green with some ochre yellow and white to lighten it. I lined the cupboards with an early 19th century wallpaper and added a shelf. Something else no one will ever see. I did think of doing fake doors and then fake drawers in the middle and then thought 'oh go for it' !  



The shelves all different and smaller as you go. I used wood from the old blind I was given.

I trimmed the door opening with coffee stirrers pinched from Starbigbucks.


I wanted the top to be marble as this is also a dessert, a place to put hot dishes and clear the table. It makes sense to have a hutch/dresser where you actually eat as it saves you taking everything from the kitchen each time. The cupboards will hold linen and place settings etc.

I didn't want classic marble so I dabbed and dabbed and voila ! Fake marble is either something that 'happens' or doesn't and you end up swishing on layers and layers of paint in an effort to get it right. This one took two minutes tops ! 3 coats of varnish, wire wool and wax.


Yes! Somewhere to put all my flatware. Making the compartments was tricky but in the end.


I used my usual technique for the doors and at the last minute chickened out and used cloth hinges, for doors that will never open they are perfect. No hard licquor needed.


Doors and drawer and marble top fitted, paintwork patinated and given a coat of clear mat varnish.


A quick try out. This is the view from the hallway in front of the kitchen door into the dining room and the hutch/dresser. 


I said that I don't have nice china, it will happen one day and meanwhile some plates from 'Twelvetimesteeny' via Etsy. The bottom niche takes salad bowls and could also hold a basket with napkins. I have yet to begin learning basket making. 


This is how you would see it if you were hanging from the ceiling. Just saying.



I dropped this drawer twice !


Another fly on the ceiling view showing all the different shelves.


Showing the maquette during the final photoshoot. I cannot install it until I receive and fit the scenic wallpaper from Alison Davies. The ceiling in the dining room is lower by a few centimètres than the rest of the room. 


I am sort of rushing this as I will be taking a short break.  This week end I will be losing someone young who has spent the past six months fighting and losing. I keep busy to forget that my heart is broken again and my family is getting smaller. 
God bless you all, life is short, make it count.



9 comments:

  1. I think the hutch is delightfully creative and I love the whimsical design! Sometimes we just get inspired and have to try something even if it's only for us to know it's existence! But in this case, it will be seen because you now have photo evidence!
    I have a bluetooth selfie stick that lets me stick my phone inside my dollhouses where my hands can't go and it makes for some very fun photos! Just press the remote's button and it captures the photo. It was under $20 on Amazon so I bet you could find one cheap, too. We have Keli to thank for that awesome discovery!
    I am so sorry to hear the anguish about your friends illness. It is often hard in this world to be anything other than agnostic or atheist, as the spiritual side of life is viewed to be frivolous, especially in the US's left brained materialistic society. But listen to those who KNOW, such as NDE experiencers, and soon you'll find peace in knowing that there is purpose in all things, even suffering, and that rather than random victimization, we all carefully chose our experiences to help us grow where we want to grow. This is why when given the choice most all decide to stay on the other side. It's apparently marvelous. Take comfort in that Stephanie. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jodi, luckilly this craft/passion has allowed to forget many things that otherwise could overwhelm me. Finding solutions for this build really occupied my brain and allowed me to switch off for a while. As someone who has been Under anaesthesia many many times and ahd the most incredible expériences as they tried to bring me out, I have great peace of mind as regards the next step. God bless xx

      Delete
    2. Jodi my dear, I got up at 4 am and told my dogs that my son in law ( 47 ) had passed, at 1 pm my daughters father ( she is not biologically mine, I just brought her up ) called to say that he had gone at 4 am ,, peace from pain and now she can sleep, huggss

      Delete
  2. Your hutch is totally unique and quite the achievement- Bravo Stephanie!
    I love the cutlery drawer and the lining inside the other 2. The curvaceous shapes of the shelves and the perfect marble top have become the ideal receptacle for the future Fabulous china which it is now more than ready for, and I can hardly wait to see it when it's installed; I LOVE fine china! :D

    Regarding the loss of the young person who has lost their battle with life, I feel your pain Stephanie, I really do. It hurts for a very long time and there is no getting around it and although keeping busy is how most of us choose to cope with grief, I also look to God because it is in those quiet moments when I am filled with unanswerable questions, that He speaks.

    and you're right- Life IS short and making it count is imperative- God's Blessings on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As ever, thank you Miss E , it was fun and distracting and now for Something else until the wallpaper arrives. After this imminent loss I have to rush up home to Scotland and take care of my mum for a while. My dad and little brother and sister ahve 'gone on ahead' so it's only mum and me. Today the sun is out full blast and the sky is a lovely periwinkle blue and my dogs are cuddling ,, who could ask for more !! hugggssss Miss E xx

      Delete
  3. I read of sad events. My condolences, Mrs. M. and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Iris thank you, life is about tiny treasures and huge events, a funny mix but worthwhile every minute. I will keep busy in the dark, travel soon and be back with tons and tons of ideas !!!! today huge clear out of my workspace and reorganising everything, it helps ,,,, huggssss

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss, especially when it is someone young. We have had a bad year for loss too, so you have my sympathy. On the upside your mini hutch is lovely and I like the idea that you might see glimpses of it here and there. Maybe some strategically placed mirrors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Shannon, yes it has hit us hard, out third loss in two years but life has to go on. The summer weather helps the moral and I have my hobby to keep my mind and hands busy, I am truly fortunate. God bless, and huggss

      Delete