Sunday, May 12, 2019

Going Door to Door

Going Door to Door


At LAST back to my miniature world after travelling and looking after mum and then tidying up after my house sitters ! Then gardening, sewing seeds , trimming box topiary and tying up the climbing roses as we wait for summer to take over from spring with bated breath. 
I must add here that the realisation of what I have begun here is finally taking over my brain ! REALLY , a three story 11 roomed house, what was I thinking ! Well too late now to turn back so I must tackle things in order and get as much pleasure out of the process as possible.
At the back of the ground floor there is , if you remember , a door to the left that leads to the dining room end of the drawing room and opposite it is the door to the pantry ( now real kitchen ). 

Below is the double door to the drawing room that sits in the entrance of Ramsay House.




I wanted to carry on the theme of the lozange shape from these doors to the two back doors and the process for making them is the same. I began by mocking up the thickness of the wall taking into account the mountboard room lining , the actual wall, the void for wiring etc. I felt that I had to make these doors at this stage because they are not accessible without difficulty later on. The kitchen door is a variant with a real glass panel echoing the lozange shape. 

 I think that a glass door to a kitchen is a great idea in RL because you can see who is in before entering and it also saves on accidents. I had wanted to etch the glass with a pattern but as this door is hardly seen I thought it best to get on with other things.
After looking at dozens of 'whites and off whites' I had to make up my mind and decided on a F&B colour ( pricey ! ) then when shopping for food in our local supermarket I found a tin of LINEN color matt white and its perfect! I have a big problem with white, I think that it doesn't really go with anything but off or 'broken' whites are a nightmare because they can be slightly pink or yellow or green and this affects not only the light but all the other colours you put next to it. F&B have an amazing selection of whites but they are in Paris and I am here in the middle of no where and YES I am impatient so there.  
 The doors done and set aside I decided to finish the details on the lower stairs. I ordered a plain ceiling rose from our wonderful Sue Cook and a ceiling light from Microminiatures.co.uk. There was a height issue so the light had to be close to the ceiling , YUP as if anyone was going to bump there heads, really ! I did some wood effects for the treads and tried staining and varnishing but it looked gungy and not very realistic. I actually love painted stairs and as this is my house I decided to paint them to match the woodwork. Another of my préférences is for layered paint when you can see the years of overpainting but not many other people like this. Ramsay House is owned by a family who are not 'precious' about their home and just get on with living and not stressing about chipped paint and stained ceilings. I will build up the paint and then age it with darker corners and skirting boards and door frames and make it look lived in. 
 The paint you can see here is another supermarket matt white acrylic paint which acts like gesso and builds up layers that all need a lot of sanding, a LOT of sanding, my arms are dropping off. 
 I installed the lovely skirting boards from Houseworks and a chair rail on level with the door panel and a base panel of mount board to visually strengthen the lower wall. The way the house is built, no one will actually see this section or under the stairs but that is not a reason to get it right, right? 
 Here you can see the effect on the hallway floor with the door propped up. I now have to give it all another two coats of the LINEN colour and then sand and sand then age and varnish the woodwork as the paint is matt and I would like the walls to be matt but the woodwork to be satin finish. The walls will be a F&B blue grey color which perfectly complements the ochre and linen colours. 
 I hadn't realised just how much space I have in the hallway which is a good thing as it's the hub of the house. The fact that the Drawing room entrance is so close to the stair does bother me but I really wanted double doors to these ground floor rooms to make an impact. You can see how the white white colour is disturbing here against the ochre. People often make the 'mistake' of painting pure white but I suppose it's a question of taste. 
 Another subject, the drawing room fireplace. If you remember I got the scale SO WRONG and had to go stand in a dark corner for a whole day to recover from it ! I saw this Georgian fireplace at Sue Cook and realised that I could never do anything as good as this and Sue's fireplaces really make a room look special. The quality and detail are amazing ! Wow ! AND I can keep the hearth I made the oversize fireplace that this replaces which is great. 
 Here you can see just how much bigger my effort was against Sue's refined one. As with miniatures any difference is times 12 and it can easilly escalade. 
 For the pleasure, here is again the fireplace, thank you Sue for such speedy elegant service!

13 comments:

  1. It’s great to see you are back to your Ramsay House. I understand the frustration when real life gets in the way of a miniature build. The stairs and doors are coming together beautifully, I’ve enjoyed watching them evolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherrill, as you know miniature work is just as demanding as full scale work ! I could maybe build a real house in the time this one will take. BUT it's all about the Journey ! huggs for a great day Stephanie

      Delete
  2. Me alegra que hayas vuelto a tu vida "normal" y a tu nueva construcción en miniatura,las escaleras,puerta y chimenea se ven geniales,buenos avances!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar, sí, soy feliz como una niña en navidad. Es extraño cómo con la edad nuestras pasiones se vuelven más simples. Aquí el sol brilla y vamos a dar un paseo. Besososos

      Delete
  3. Its looking good Mrs M, and yes your right about sue cooks pieces they just ooze quality look forward to seeing it progress Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thank god for Sue ! I had already bought my ceiling roses and chandelier adaptors and some coving for the bedroom from her but this fireplace is fantastic. When I first began I bought the classic 12 euro one that you can see absolutely everywhere but Sue's ones do not compare in any way. Even the colour is great so I might just add some age and varnish it ! Lovely Sunny day here, must ask my dogs to take me for a walk ! hugggs

      Delete
  4. Great doors and staircase! It's lovely to have you back posting on your mini progress again and I love the warm white color you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, thank you yes I really like this Linen colour and so happy to finally have made a decision about it! Repainting this house one day is NOT Something I would like to do! Today I have to cut out upper floor doorways and still trying out saws ! huggggs

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm LOVING the crisp looking staircase against that long span of warm terra cotta floor tiles; so Elegant and so British!
    I l also love both fireplaces, yours and Sue's. Fireplaces come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, tall and short, wide and narrow so DON'T dismiss yours out of turn, for the right room one day it will be Exactly what you'll need.
    And your doors are Lovely Stephanie, but you already know that I admire ALL of your work, even your sol-called "mistakes" ;)

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss E thank you, I am really trying to get on with the actual build and stop finding reasons not to as the whole point is getting actual ROOMS to decorate ! Choosing paint colour was stressful, more so than in my own home ! I now have to think what colour to paint the skirting boards ! More stress ! thank yoooou huggs to u

      Delete
  7. Great post, very informative. I like the Lozange shape that recurs in different guises. I have not read enough of your blog yet but I suspect it may have heraldic provenance for the family that resides at Ramsay House? BTW you are so right about pure white, it seldom works although many people seem to be blind for colours and their impact. You have chosen a great Sue Cook fireplace although I do like yours as well. And your self made (double) doors are super!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Huibrecht, I realise on reading your blog last night how I have come forward from my initial plan for the house. You are so right to make a mock up, I only mocked up the hallway and stairwell. Yes white and variants are problematic, I once painted a room in my apartment white and felt quite ill for ages until I painted it ochre again. The lozange theme I think I will restrict to the lower floor and upper floors will have other doors. In my mind Ramsay House belongs to a family who have done alterations with old materials but are not too precious about things being neat ( as I am not, my RL house is full of piles of books and stacks of pictures and pillows and everything from sea shells to bronzes !

      Delete