Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Royal bedding

I have, amongst many other books on dollhouses, three books on Queen Mary's Dollhouse designed and made by Sir Edwin Lutyens in the 1920's. To say that this is the finest example of miniature work in every domain would be a huge understatement. Every artisan in Britain and in other countries ( the marbles came from India ) contributed to this masterpiece over the years it took to make.

 One of the things I love the most about the house is the large collection of household linens all hand embroidered by a single woman over thousands of hours in Ireland. 
 So ,,,,, I decided that one day if I had a dollhouse I would fill it with the same hand sewn linens. Now I have no intention of comparing my work with that of this wonderful woman mainly because too much detailed work in fashion and millions of hours of reading in poor lighting has diminished my capacity for prolonged stitching. The other night looking for an outlet for restless hands I cut up a damaged curtain made from lovely ultra fine coton satin and made this little bedsheet. I did not check the dimensions as it was a test of my capacity. I hand edged it all and trimmed one edge with the border of some fine lace trim. I then added an R for Ramsay House. 
This reminded me of that movie Rebecca from the novel by Daphne du Maurier. At the end of the movie you can see a nightdress case burning when the house is destroyed by the evil Mrs Danvers and the last image in the R consumed by flames. 
 I made a 'sewing board' some time ago by laying two pieces of foamboard over wood and covering it with plain coton on which I drew a grid for squaring up. This board allows for pinning in place. I attached a small flexible light from Ikea to the side of the board. The board is quite small so it sits nicely on my lap when working. 
 A detail above of the stitching, I should have used a finer needle in hindsight. 
 I pencilled in the R before going over with a small 'running stitch' and then completing with a double line of whipped satin stitch. 

 Seen in daylight it looks much whiter than the previous photos ! 
 The blanket was cut from a scarf from the charity shop which gives me enough material for several blankets. I hope one day to weave some blankets and am looking into techniques at the moment.
 The sheet above and another photo of the quilted bed spread/foot warmer in silk twill. Again I will add that no one will actually see any of this work as it will either be on beds or in cupboards.
Dollhouses are such a wonderful way of learning and making, a hugely enjoyable curve.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    Your linens look so realistic and I just love the embroidered R...Rebecca is one of my favorite movies. I am very impressed by your many talents.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are re-making 'Rebecca' with Armie Hammer from Call me by your name and Lily James !!! I've watched the original a dozen times at least and read the book a few times too ,,, we will see what they do with it this time round xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hello Giac, thank you; if anyone should know just how much this passion takes hold of us and we do small things in a huge way its you ,, it's one of the most satisfying things I've done so far in life besides the garden in my previous country house, now gone. I must measure up sheet sizes etc and really make them as sitting by the fire it doesnt seem like work at all ,,, huggs to u xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stitchery is pure witchery! I LOVE your white on white embroidery! I too am a great admirer of the linen closet of Qn. Mary's Dollhouse, and Isn't it WONDERFUL that you are able to translate you natural talents into yet another creative mini craft? ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that it is the easiest thing for me to do in all this. I am contemplating a mini Burberry raincoat to hang in the hallway ! have scaled down the lining check and am thinking of dying a hankie for the outer fabric, maybe lightly coat it with diluted pva ! might be fun, might be a mess ! I began sewing at the age of 6 so that makes it 56 years of pulling a needle !

      Delete