Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Holding my horses


As someone who sleeps little I often spend too long looking online for treasures. I saw this pair of bronze horses one night on Etsy and something seemed odd until I checked the measurements and saw that they were tiny ! The lovely lady in the US who sold them had bought them in London, Convent Garden Market in the 80's. They still had their original sticker priced 23 pounds underneath! They are signed 1987 by the artist but I cannot make out his name. They were a little pricey but well worth it, it's the postage that is a killer from the US mostly which is often way more than the cost of the purchase itself. 
I received them yesterday and wanted to share. They will go into the drawing room under an equestrian portrait like this Alfred de Dreux painting.  I have recently purchased a book of his complete works ( 1810 - 1860 ) He died sadly young but his paintings of horses and animals in general are amongst the best. 

I placed them on the console table for scale. The reigns are so fine, like a hair. They sit on milled wooden bases and are surprisingly heavy.

 A bad shady photo but you get an idea. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    They were worth every penny. The detail is exquisite.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes I think so, as you know we tend to try to justify the price of some of these tiny treasures ! I know that the furniture in my house cost less than many miniatures ! I think I paid about 50 dollars plus lots of postage for them so a middle meal in a restaurant comparitively. huggss

      Delete
  2. What a treasure trove Ramsay House is rapidly becoming - and I'm LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, it might seem silly to buy things for a house that does not yet exist but sometimes as in a real house you can build a scheme around some antiques. I am now looking at horse pictures to place above these and a frame etc. In the hallway I will add a riding hat and crop and boots to the 'mess' that I plan to put there ! coats, boots,hats, toys etc ,,, huggs

    ReplyDelete