Monday, March 25, 2019

Still digging


As frustrating as it is I am still sifting through boxes of storage items and not making minis! 
Out of the 200 or so boxes I have gone through roughly 40 and the house is creaking under the weight of books and books and books! Books on interior design, painting, jewellery, buttons, embroidery etc. Also novels I can't wait to read again and it's tempting to stop and sit and open one!
I came across my collection of bronze greyhounds and placed them here under the window in place of the white coral which I decided to put on the hall table and what was on the hall table back into a box. It's like a game of chess. I also found things I have no recollection of, weirdly.

 My poor Fo dogs have been squashed by a Victorian china spaniel, two art nouveau pitchers, a carved 19th century Chinese bamboo 'brush pot' and some 15th century India carved stone pieces from Hampi in India. The kids would dig in the mud of the river and find these rare items that they sold to a man in the village who sold them to me for roughly 1 euro each!

 I used to collect these small embroidered pillows, no idea why as I also came across about 30 large embroidered pillows by me back when I was into that craft. I also found an unfinished rug with part of the border to be done. The stool that you can see upended is also a creation of mine, crazy craft, when I find something I like doing I go at it like there is no tomorrow.
 This lovely 18th  century chair covered in ivory woven horse hair came from the trash ! The sculpture sitting on it is by a young artist called Clementine de Chabaneix, it plugs in and the street lamp works but it's only good in the dark. I was afraid that it hadn't survived the move but it has proved me wrong, now WHERE to put it!

 My lovely ugly lion now sitting on a small 19th century Chinese table and surrounded by prickly white coral. I began with one small piece and then it just grew as usual. I can never just have one of something. 
 Here you can see a minimalists nightmare ! it's usually busy but this is too much. I intend to move in two years time to somewhere bigger, I might not wait that long now! 
The notary oak unit was a gift from friends and when I saw it realised that I couldn't put books in it until my thinking went horizontal! I adorned it with an egyptian gilt bronze plaque taken from a huge egyptian revival bed found in the street when I lived in the South of France. 

 Taken tonight, a lovely log fire, a comfy sofa, lots of pillows and my computer. The fireplace is not my taste, too rustic but it's still a fire and it makes all the difference to a home.
Not quite a 'mini' post more of a 'maxi' one ! 

6 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    You certainly have collected well over the years. I was enchanted by so many of your beautiful treasures. I am glad they are coming out of storage to be admired.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I'm finding things I had completely forgotten about ! But it's tough going given the quantity ! huggs S

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful to be surrounded by all the things you love, which are linked to specific moments in times. So it must feel like an adventure to you, opening all those storage boxes then reacquainting yourself with each of your precious treasures especially after such a long time apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss E , I have always been a 'nester' as a libra ! As a kid I would scour the local dump and take home porcelain that people threw away prefering plastic ! I used to have a huge country house and a big appartment so I never realised how much I owned! Most of it cost really very little and much of what I now rediscover I couldn't buy today. Fun but Killing on my thighs ! Hope I lose weight !! huggs

      Delete
  3. It must feel like Christmas going through all of these thing that you loved and cared enough for to store so lovingly for so long! I wish you continued joy with the rest of the unpacking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, I must be more severe with myself, I have just spent ages going through my cd collection and last night two large boxes of vintage jewellery! I used to find things for so little money back in the day. I am going to have to give/throw/sell 80% of it all as this house was already full before retrieving all this ! Yes its like xmas, so much fun ,,, huggs ,,

      Delete