Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Back in the saddle again !

Well there was little point in crying about it but in learning from it! 
I remember in 2008 having a melt down behind a palm tree in Shanghai Airport after an argument with Chinese officiels and then giving myself a slap and moving on.

I spent a few hours wondering how it came about this mistake and realised that I had tried to give the stairs a small footprint thus making the steps higher. It was only when I put the door against it and having stepped back from the stairs for a week whilst sorting out the house that it hit me. I still find it funny but have moved on again. 

 I drew up in real scale the pattern for the first rise and after glueing two pieces of 3 mm mdf together on the scrap edge I cut it out just before my scroll saw began sawing in a curve ! No idea why and how to fix it. I have ordered a table saw from Proxon which should arrive soon.
 My friends moved and gave me their old venetian blind and the wood is even finer and more mat than the other one I use a lot. This came in time to make all the risers and treads of the 'new stair'.
 Here I had glued the backing in place followed by the risers and then glued the whole thing against a side board that acts as skirting for the stair and also helps stablise it. This was all much easier and quicker than the first time round. Practice makes almost perfect, fingers crossed.
 Here you can see the old and the new, there was nothing salvageable in the old stair.
 Above you can see that I widened the first step like the old stair and you can just see the side board with the door cut out under the stair that will lead to the back of the Drawing room. To the right of that door will be the Dutch door leading to the garden. NOT that there will be a garden !
 The new and the old three rises that will go into a box marked 'Booby'.
 I thought that I would show my new space before it becomes messy again. To the left are the archive boxes I bought in which I have put all the fabrics I would like clothes made from ! Under the window in the new desk that will hold the house. Under the desk is an old suitcase transformed into Dora's bed! She never leaves my side. To the right is the new base board with the plans on top that mark out the foorprint of the house. 
Where I sit, mostly at night and make things. The Danish drinks table ( signed ) I found on the street and the stool came from my old job, when they moved to a new location they threw out ALL the furniture and work tables so I took two stools. When I worked at Chloé years ago they also moved and threw out all the furniture which was Knoll and Herbst originals !! I had two large Knoll tables in my garden for years ! I shudder to think.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Stephanie,
    It might have been a pain to start over, but the new staircase will look so much more realistic. Enjoy the clean workroom.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giac hi, its actually fun to start over as after doing the first one I realised what I could have done to make it better/easier. I will still probably make mistakes as I AM a total novice in building dollhouses but each mistake will help me make it better the time after. I have just built the base onto which the house will sit and have drilled through my finger! imagine how silly is that ! huggs Stephanie

      Delete
  2. Your new set of stairs looks Incredibly Professional Stephanie. and they went together very quickly too! Practice DOES make Perfect! :D
    And its wonderful that you have some classic Designer furniture pieces to use in your workspace. Not only are they usually more ergonomically designed, but yours will also carry happy memories of another time and place in your life as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at myself how quickly I made these and it boosts me in doing the other three rises ! I love this hobby it teaches so much. Huggs S

      Delete
    2. I love this hobby too! It draws on all your past experiences, skills and talents and puts them to work with all of your new ones! :D

      Delete
    3. As frustrated as I have been to own and transform my own house as opposed to renting , this miniature house has fulfilled many of these frustrations. I tried to buy a large 19th house four years ago but put my trust in a courtier who lost me a LOT of money so I gave up owning and settled here. This hobby teaches me so much although I was already a very patient person. To be able to do this every day is magical ! huggs ,,

      Delete