Friday, April 10, 2020

Sanctuary

If you walked around my village you could never imagine that there was anything out of the norm busying itself in cities around the world disrupting the world. I cross the road to feed the goats with the neighbours girls, all gorgeous well behaved treasures. They have a new boy goat who is trying to fit into a trio of females, I feel sorry for him , little mite ! They butt his head in turns, telling him that he is in a female world and not to try pulling a macho routine ! I could watch them all day.

That said I am a busy bee, still packing and sorting and repairing stuff ready to move 'one day'. The thought that I might NOT be able to move is so terrifying that it is catalogued in the very back of my mind.

Last year ( or the year before ) I bought this gorgeous angel at our local antique/Junk store because he was broken and I felt sorry for him, worrying that things would get worse. I paid a lot, about 150 euros but chalked it up to a birthday. It is rather large , 70 x 67 cms and about 8 cms deep and it is an original creation, not a plaster cast of an existing sculpture. The artist is unknown.
I laid it on a pile of blankets for ages until I could find a solution for his safety. I decided to make a box frame and insert him, tying the wood supports to the back and then fixing the broken bottom.


He was very dirty and dusty, especially the back and it took ages with a brush and vacuum to clean him up. I didn't want him to look new and all white and decided to keep the patina.
Luckilly the antique dealer kept most of the pieces so it was just a puzzle to be sorted out.


This is the back showing the process of creation. The artist made a wooden frame and covered it in plaster mixed with horse hair as a base then built up the layers by hand, leaving parts to dry then carve away, adding and carving as he went. It is a long and delicate process. 


Below you can see that I glued the plaster pieces using wood glue but first wetting the edges to prevent the old plaster from sucking up the water in the glue and breaking the bond. I strengthened the joins with pieces of linen and it all worked well.


The Angel Gabriel in his frame, painted F&B Downpipe black. The lower edge was a temporary fit as the edge was not yet repaired. I didn't take photos but I twisted wires around the back wooden supports and fed them through the back of the box frame and tied them down to keep the sculpture in place when upright. I also bolted two hanging loops through the layers of wood but given the weight it is unlikely that I will be able to hang it one day. 



I couldn't repair this edge as it was but aftr making a small plastic frame I poured synthetic plaster and when dry I carved it and dirtied it with soot from the chimney.


And voila Gabriel is looking strong again and able to help us with our worries.  
Gabriel is a revealer.



Gabriel, in the Abrahamic religions, is an archangel. He was first described in the Hebrew Bible and was subsequently adopted by other traditions. In the Hebrew Bible, Gabriel appears to the prophet Daniel to explain his visions. 
The archangel appears in such other ancient Jewish writings as the Book of Enoch.

I hope that you are all seeing this confinement as the holiday you never could imagine, talking with friends, sorting out the house, making and reading and watching movies and turning these few weeks into something positive.

I miss my Ramsay House, I miss my minis and my equipement and finishing my drawing room. 

Sending you all, from myself and Gabriel the choicest of affectionate thoughts. 

Love to all.



12 comments:

  1. You have done a fine job of restoring your special angel Stephanie! Gabriel is an Special Messenger directly from GOD to HIS creation and appeared not only to Daniel, but also to Mary and Joseph announcing the Birth of the Saviour and then warning them to flee to Egypt, so you have a very significant piece of art in your care.
    I think that it's a Grand thing that where you are, life goes on with little disruption from the outside world- Truly a Sanctuary in every sense of the word!
    Stay well and Blessings be on you during this Passover/Easter Weekend! ❤️

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it seemed appropriate at the moment. I also had to do this before I moved it to stop the damage. Happy Easter dear Miss E , huggss

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful repair and restoration of Gabriel. Making 'stuff' is great but there is always something so very, very special about breathing new life into beautiful old things that would otherwise likely be discarded.
    Although we are all affected by the current state of the world, like you, we are lucky to be in a place where life (pretty much) goes on without too much disruption.
    Warm hugs - Stay well,
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say how often I buy Something broken so that I can have the pelasure of seeing it repaired for a new life, not always for me. I have boxes of broken china to repair and frames to gild ,, keeps my hands busy , happy easter Huggsss

      Delete
  3. Has hecho un buen trabajo de restauración con ese ángel! Siempre es algo mágico recuperar cosas antiguas con nuestras propias manos,ahora se ve genial!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sí, me encanta el momento en que algo roto vuelve a la vida, ¡como un ser vivo! Felices Pascuas Besos xo

      Delete
  4. You are a special person with an amazing talent for seeing the beauty and possibility in broken things. What a gift you are and I know Gabriel agrees! I hope he will watch over you and help move things along so that before you know it, you'll be moved, settled and building Ramsey House into the incredible creation that it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you miss Jodi, I cannot resist a crack or break and every time I go to the flea market I tell myself ' do NOT buy Something broken' ! but sometimes they just end up home with me anyway! Happy Easter and huggsss

      Delete
  5. You've done an excellent restoration job, Stephanie, the angel looks gorgeous now! I can clearly see what attracts you in this sculpture, above all why you bought it. It's not just beautiful, but it has a "meaning under the surface".......If you know what I mean (I can't express myself well in the Enlish language, sorry)?
    I think that now the world has minimized for lots of people, we can reconsider what is important and what's not. Personally, I'm happy for having the possibility to be in my mini-world, making miniature creations, but I do miss the direct contact (kiss, hugs) with my children and my little rascal of a grandson very much.
    So, stay healthy, dear Stephanie, and take good care for yourself.
    Despite all, I wish you a nice Easter weekend.
    Warm hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand what you mean by that. Your English is brilliant. You are right, it's a time when priorities are set right and we re discover the value of life. Happy Easter , huggsss

      Delete
  6. Dear mrs. M. Great to see that you saved this archangel from the skip. How lovely to see the difference a restored edge can do to the entire relief. You have done a great job on this!

    stay safe and healthy. I wish you the best of everything,

    Mr. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr H , yes Something else to find a home for in the new house. It's nice to have this time to fix and repair stuff before packing away. Happy Easter, huggssss

      Delete