Tuesday, October 1, 2019

King Louis lost his head

I should have written 'Mrs M lost her head' as here I am off at a tangent again.
I am busy sorting through things and packing up in anticipation of my move next year. If you saw my house you would understand just how many many weeks it's going to take to pack so each day I try to do one or two boxes. 
I am getting to the point really I am.
Below are two exemples of what we sometimes call a 'Marriage Mirror' and they date from the late 18th century onwards to mid 19th. There are many different qualities on the market but they usually sell for between 350 and 700 euros and not Something that I would purchase.



Here you can see poor headless Louis rescued from my antique dealer who bought it and dropped it and then hid it under a table with all the pieces in a box. I of course rummage in his store and finding it decided to 'rescue' it, so for 30 euros it was mine.
I had checked that all the pieces were there but figured that I just couldn't make it worse.


This is the back showing that the wood is not great quality so I guess that it was a sort of mass produced provincial version for the local market. It was made in the 'big town' called Laval near me from where I catch my train when I go anywhere.


The store was called 'CROISSANT' like the French breakfast roll and of course no longer exists. They won a medal in 1852 for their work and they sold wallpaper, frames and mirrors amongst many other items. 


Here you can see that I have already glued in a few pieces and noticed that a piece of mirror was missing so I sprayed some mirror silver onto the back of a piece of flexable plastic and after making a pattern I cut to fit and glued in place.

I 'aged' the mirror to fit in with the old one.


So far so good.


The top part of the mirror had warped and pushed forward which had fragilised the whole. I used synthetic putty to assemble the top after doing some tests on scraps to see how well it would glue.
I had never used synthetic putty before and I admit that the smell of it is enough to get anyone ready for a party ! I left it to dry for 24 hours before sanding it down. Its best to not get too much where you don't want it as it's tough to get off.


Here you can see the new angle of the top part. I think that originally it was slanted but warping had done a lot of damage. You can see that I had to fill in large cracks in the carving on the profile with the same putty and then sand down. I glued back in place the upright support although it doesn't really serve a purpose now.


The mirror almost done looking better.


I found this extra piece in the box of bits and almsot discarded it until I saw a gap and tried to place it. It sat in perfectly and filled a visual hole in the top. 


Here you can see that I gilded the putty filler with gold dust paint. When it is dry I will patinate it with some brown shoe polish.


Molding a piece to complete the bow before gilding and fixing in place.
I will refine it once dry.


Here is the synthetic putty I used. I says that it is perfect for polystyrene and wood assembly but it mostly used by model makers to fill in small inperfections in their builds. It is quite cheap at about 5 euros a small tube and I am sure that it has many applications in miniature work. 


Well I hope that this product will be of use to some of you, I am sure that it can be great as it doesn't seem to shrink, it sets super hard and is sandable and paintable. I would suggest gloves as I had a tough job getting ot off my fingers.

Once finished this mirror will go into storage and one day will hang somewhere in the new house.
I now have to find a solution to move the 300,000,000 books and magasines!

8 comments:

  1. I have just noticed that the time of posting is given as 8:18 AM !! in reality it is 17h12 here and there is no way in heck that I could post anything at 8:18 AM as my eyes Don't open until at least an hour later ! But then again I am usually awake at 4 am. NO IDEA what the story is there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on the mirror! Very impressive! And yes, those two part putties are pretty smelly. Croissant is a fun name for a home decoration store. File that for future mini use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Shannon it was jsut a one part putty ! Still smelly, got me high ! I love restoring things and often buy broken stuff just for the pleasure of seeing it restored! Now that I do miniatures I am getting better at not buying cracked china ! huggsss

      Delete
  3. Love to see anything beautiful of any age rescued...a lovely job on restoring pieces that were broken and filed away in a box. Hopefully it will be a delightful piece to display in your new home. Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helli Alayne, yes I will maybe put the mirror in the washroom of the 'new house'. I just gave away several gold mirrors to a friend who bought a guest house and she did a display in a bedroom. I still have quite a few mirrors left to find a place for in the house. I have a huge round ornate gilt one with bevelled glass, it's quite impressive and it's only PAPIER MACHE ! from Italy and cost Under 100 euros and was easy to carry home ! Fake but pretty ,, huggsss

      Delete
  4. A Terrific Mirror rescue especially well done when it appears to have always been that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , yes it's nice to see it whole again and maybe saved from a bad restoration, not that mine was fantastic but if it had been a museum piece I wouldn't perhaps have done it in the same way. Huggsss

      Delete
  5. I would highly recommend Le_ meridian funding services to any person in need financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to customers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Le meridian funding service is best way to get an easy loan,here is there email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or talk to Mr Benjamin On WhatsApp Via_+1-989-394-3740 Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete