Saturday, August 10, 2019

Playing in the woods

After so many many hours admiring all your wonderful parquet wood floors on your blogs I was itching to have a go myself but things have to be done in order. I had to have sufficiently progressed with the floor layout and doors and base boards to be able to make a Template to work on. 
I have bought over this last year quite a lot of wood veneer in different colours but for this dining room end of the drawing room I realised that with the floor being so far back from view and low down on the ground floor it was not Worth really doing anything complicated.
My third sample test after doing two in card for the fit and size was done with 100 year old oak veneer bought in a recent car boot sale / yard sale.
As you can see the 'open' grain of the wood didn't look to scale and was a bit messy for my taste.
I worked on a base of 350 gram kraft card which is rigid enough not to bend but still thin enough to not add height to the floor.



I knew that I could use stain, filler and wax to get it right but having so many other alternative woods to work with it was pointless.


Missed a few photo but the method and design are the same. I chose a fine grained light colour wood veneer from a German Supplier ( ? ) didn't note the wood type. I made a plain strip surround to enclose the parquet pieces laid on the biais of course. Here it is sanded down ready for stain. I used an alcohol based 'Palissandre' stain which is redder than walnut but deeper than dark oak. 


I then gave it a coat of matt varnish, rubbed it down and waxed it up with antique wax to a nice realistic shine ready for a good layer of dust later !! 
 


Here it is glued down, not perfect but for my first attempt, not too bad.


As I just showed you the finished floor I cannot leave without showing the rest of the room instead of doing a second post.
I had decided to make this dining end in a slightly different style from the drawing room end just because it was fun. Here you can see the hutch/dresser dry fitted in place and the back removable window all fixed in place. The door still hasn't been given an extra piece to fill in the lower gap yet.



I was so nervous about glueing in this paper as there was not going to be a second chance. I made a Template for the wall then another in tracing paper to lay over Alison Davies lovely 'English countryside' scenic paper in order to choose the best sections given that the window bites into the scene. I then dry fitted the paper once cut and went to lie down and do some breathing exercises!
I had no idea how to glue, what glue to use etc and of course should have asked the lovely Alison but in the end I gave the wall a coat of slightly diluted wood glue to seal it which I usually do with wallpaper paste on a real scale room. This stops the wall drinking up the glue from the paper too quickly. I even papered to the left where the hutch/dresser would fit later.
Alison's papers are very heavy duty so they don't Bubble or wrinkle when glued.

A dry fit to make sure that ever millimetre has been sorted out. I also gave the base mdf floor a little stain around the edges before laying in case there would be any gaps, rather silly when no one will see the floor from above but just being finnicky as usual.


I made the ceiling cornicing plain with no added decor as the room is busy enough. On seeing the walls papered I decided to do a 'sky' painted ceiling in the end of the room, never of course to be seen! I add that the ceiling height is lower here than the other end. There will be a chandelier, two wall lights and a couple of lamps in the drawing room but I didn't want another working ceiling light over the dining table. I am going to just suspend a non electric light or candle chandelier in a garden theme and set LED spots into the ceiling. The lovely Tony from 'Miniature Treasures' gave me his contact for LED lights 

https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/

Jennifer Smith the owner is lovely and you can explain what you need and she will make it up and the cost is very fair indeed. I wasn't sure if I could run LEDs and 'normal' dollhouse lights off the same circuit but it's all 12 volt, just the LED set up before the junction is slightly different because the wiring is one way and cannot be crossed.
More on the ceiling later.


To finish I wanted to show off my car boot/yard sale purchase of 100 year plus wood veneer from a lovely old man who saved it from his old boss using it to light his fire he had so much!
There is a mix of oak, walnut and mahogany, I paid 20 euros for the whole crate, enough wood for a lifetime. He said that he would call me when he found more. I have stored it flat weighed down with heavy books for the moment.






18 comments:

  1. She's Baaaaaack! Hooray! We've missed you and your incredible ideas and solutions! I LOVE the access window in the dining room, the floors are just beautiful (even for a back room) and that wallpaper mural creates magic! What a lovely room this will be and such a bummer that I can not actually be in it! Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi, yes I have been dying to get back to my hobby, all summer was making notes on things to try. I just went to fetch my last 12 year old storage unit and am going through it at the moment, found my big box of dollhouse stuff from way back, some great and some terrible because back 15/20 years there was not much on the market! big huggsss

      Delete
  2. Que maravillosos suelos de madera! Y ese papel de paisaje queda increíble en la habitación,con la luz que entra por la ventana,crea un ambiente cálido y muy acogedor.
    Gran trabajo!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar, estoy tan feliz de volver a hacer miniaturas de nuevo, me lo perdí mucho. Besososososos

      Delete
  3. You certainly hit the ground running. Your parquet floor is beautiful and I love the scenic wallpaper you selected. But mostly, I want to thank you for introducing us to the “350 gram kraft card.” I did an exhaustive search locally and on the internet and came up empty handed. However, I did find something here in the Northwest US called “stencil card” that looks like what you are working with. The attributes I like are that it is thin, stable and cuts and paints like a dream. Give me a week or two and I’ll post the result of my experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sherrill, yes kraft card is a lifesaver in minis, the more layers you glue as one the more it becomes like fine wood. I did begin looking for stencil card and could not find it so I bought kraft card from Aliexpress, it comes in white, black and brown and is really super cheap. A model maker called 'David Neat' uses stencil card a lot and makes wonderful things. I would say that both products are similar, maybe stencil card being more 'shiny' and finished. Kraft card tends to 'wear' down when sanded so needs to be sealed and now when I make moldings and doors I paint it before spackle, then sand then re-paint. Can't wait to see what you do !!! big huggsss

      Delete
  4. Welcome back Mrs. M.!!! I have to 'ditto' Sherrill's thank you for introducing us to this product called kraft card. After you had explained to me exactly what this product is, I was able to google it more effectively. I found out that I can order the thinner kind from craft stores in the US, but it's the heavy stuff that we need, isn't it! Thanks to your link I have ordered some from Aliexpress, and it arrived without a problem. The only thing that I can add to the soup of information is a product called 'book board'. It is a product used in book binding and although I don't have any personal experience with it, it may be a product that comes in handy for miniature works.

    Now that I have my kraft card I could get started on a wooden floor. Your post came at just the right time for some inspiration and instructions. Now I just have to get over being the Queen of Procrastination!!

    (Of course, totally in awe of your floor and THAT wallpaper!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss ! Thank you, I will look up book board and see what it's about. I am a bit obsessed with my kraft card and use it a lot, it's so stable and cheap! I also bought some 'mat board' used in framing but it's really expensive although it does take a lot of treatments, I think you can find it in the framing dept of kraft stores, usually in large format. I did enjoy making my floor and it was so quick to do as I laid out a grid in pencil over the kraft card base to make sure I didn't go 'off' as I went. I personally love simple board floors but it's tempting to go for Something more complicated. I hope to move onto the drawing room outer wall tomorrow, things like RL get in the way! Bighuggsss

      Delete
  5. WOWEE Stephanie!!!
    Your simple parquet floor is Lovely as is your PERFECT scenic wallpaper! It, coupled with your painted shelf unit completes a subtle and harmonious pairing. Your building techniques and design aesthetics are a Joy to Behold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss E, always so generous in your praise. After looking at so many floors I jsut went with what I would live with in RL. I jsut ordered some veggie themed dishes from a charming girl in Portugal for the dresser and am thinking about the ceiling fixture, so many décisions ! Huge hugs Miss E xxx

      Delete
  6. Dear mrs. M. A delight to see the progress on the diningroom. The wallpaper is just right to catch ones attention when looking at the drawingroom interior. It will draw the eye to whats happening in the background. And the floor looks lovely. The colour is nice and dark without being too dark. So what will be next. :-)

    yours cordially,

    Mr. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Seigneur H , yes this paper does 'make' the room and gives it a them that I am going to try to bring out. Next move is to paint and patinate the fireplace wall and install the overmantle lights when I still can, trying to decide on which ones, bought some in Paris recently along with a LOT of wood moldings and strips! Looking forward to finsishing all this floor parquet but patience is a mini virtue! So dear H when are you going to begin putting up scaffolding ? huggsss

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, I am procrastinating aren't I? The truth is that arranging the affairs of my mother in laws estate takes up more time than we anticipated. For now I mainly focus furniture mini's. I hope to have time and room for some serious building at the beginning of autumn. 🤗

      Huibrecht

      Delete
    3. Well it took me a year of playing around with furniture and ideas to actually cut out wood and begin the build! Now I realise that the build will take me years, but it's years of pleasure and Learning and sharing. Whenever you do begin it will be amazing as your preparation is amazing! huggsss

      Delete
  7. Je découvre ce blog avec grand plaisir! Je connaissais votre magnifique travail de haute couture et décoration, vos vêtements et accessoires Mini Murray et autres si jolies créas, mais je n'avais plus rien vu depuis 2011 je pense. C'est donc avec bonheur que je vais suivre vos aventures miniatures! Vous me semblez disposer de tous les talents du monde!!! Ce parquet est superbe, et les montages des parois des murs aussi, jusqu'au moindre détail. J'aime beaucoup cotre choix du motif de papier à tapisser d'Allison Davies, qui a une très belle collection de matériel miniature! A bientôt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ! merci beaucoup de tes gentils mots. Je suis si heureuse d'avoir decouvert ce passion qui depasse les autres et m'aide a me focaliser. Je suis toujours impressionné par ce monde de gens sympatiques. Huggsss

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful!! so detailed and expensive looking! I am new to this wonderful world of miniatures. I hope to be as good as you some day...if I live that long!

    ReplyDelete