Sunday, August 25, 2019

August thoughts

Regarding my miniature work this month is really frustrating so I thought that I would show you all some of the tiny purchases I recently made via Etsy and eBay and our local charity shop.
I also came across boxes of goodies and a LOT of baddies in my storage unit. Back from Scotland I had only one day before having to drive many miles to retrieve the last of my five storage units that had been there for over 12 years. Real life does have a tendency to get in the way of fun!

I am struggling with bronchitis and the news that I am going to have to move from my lovely house.

The veggie items below came from a charming Young woman in Porto Portugal called Cecilia on her Etsy store 'MiniCilocas'. She had made them from airclay and are exactly what I wanted for the country dining room. She does make to order and her prices are very good.

The table was painted for a project that I had to abandon but will perhaps use in Ramsay House.



A close up, you can imagine them full of fruit!


The tiny incredible temple building in bronze came from Moscow Russia, the jadeite temples I found in storage and will maybe go into the Chinoiserie bedroom if there is room !!! 


I bought these three vases for the tall one as they came in a group, it's very French Art Nouveau.



These two quite primitive jugs I found in the US via Etsy. The one on the left is quite big but in my hallway here I do have a giant jug filled with branches on which I have clipped fake birds.


The green vase via Etsy, the antique bronze, the cat and the ivory elephant came from storage.


This was also from storage, it's very 'Henry Moore'.


I have had these vases for 15 years, cannot remember where I found them.


The 'silver' serving dish came from AliExpress for about 1 dollar, I bought two, the twin jugs are cake favours via Etsy and the other things came from storage. The 'Frozen Charlotte ' doll is the smallest I have ever seen. The tiny sheep are adorable.


This is a pendant found in storage, maybe to be used as art work.


I found this mini snuff box in papier maché and the tiny ivory pill box ( 19 th century ) in an abandoned house in my home village when I was 11 years old ! They have survived these years of multiple moves and storage.


This is just plastic but they look quite good and as 'background' china they could work.


This super cute bathroom suite came from my local charity shop the other day for 3 euros. The bath and toilet look right but the sinks look a bit tall.


The other day I made a flower from a kit and it drove me mad it was so fiddly. It made me think that I could actually make the petals myself so I found these on AliExpress for a few euros. I can make many types of flowers with these. Geraniums, hydrangeas and Auriculas, my favorites.


We are suffering a heatwave here in France, it's quite unbearable. SO we chose this hot day to go out and pick some brambles and tomorrow I will make bramble Jelly by heating up the fruit with some water, then strain and boil with sugar before potting. Its the easiest thing to do and much preferable to bramble jam with all the seeds!


I found this chair in our local Junk shop. It is made from Ash and is probably eastern european and from the beginning of the century. It does look a bit 'cowboy saloon' but I must say that it is the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in! I will maybe paint and patinate it and make a nicer seat pillow from some vintage stuff. It was 90 euros which is way more that I usually pay for my 'junk' but as all my other chairs were either 5 euros or found in the street its a cool average! 



15 comments:

  1. It can feel immensely gratifying to rediscover hidden treasures within your own collections especially when they've been missing in action for long periods of time. Yours new/old miniatures were only waiting for the Right occasion to resurface and now that they have, you'll soon have a permanent home for them where you will be able to enjoy them 24/7! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss E, yes it's lovely to find 'old friends' and things I thought that I needed and loved, some terrible things too as fashion changes so quickly. I am just glad to get things out and find homes for the stuff I Don't need, already 50 crates to charity ! big hug xxx

      Delete
  2. Unas compras muy interesantes,has encontrado piezas preciosas!!!
    Esa silla estilo vaquero,me encanta,seguro que te quedará genial y pasará a ser una de tus favoritas!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pilar, mi querido hola, sí, sabes cuánto tiempo pasamos en la cena en Europa, ¡así que es bueno tener una silla cómoda! ¡Sí, mi pequeña colección se está haciendo más grande que mi casa! abrazos Stephanie

      Delete
  3. Hi Stephanie! I am sending good thoughts across the world for energy and clarity in going through the stuff from all five storage units! I imagine it is a mixed bag of emotions, and that alone can wipe us out.
    I hope your landlord has given you plenty of time to find a new place to move to and that the new place is even more charming and suited to you and the puppies. I am one of those that resist change and then wonders why I waited so long to change it!
    The minis are all lovely and will add such lovely detail to your decor! I can't wait to see what else you uncover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Miss Jodi, yes we do get attached to things, maybe ot's wrong but we build ourselves on them sometimes. Some very precious things are gone, stolen at one point which is upsetting but I try to focus on what survived these years and look ahead. I am not really 'put out' of my house but I live in tension with the owner and as a libra I run from it. huggssss

      Delete
  4. Dear mrs. M. prey tell, what did you do with the baddies?

    It is no small thing to have to move house. It is worse when the moment to do so is not of ones own choosing. I hope you find a suitable accomodation for you and your loved ones.

    About the bramble Jelly, sieving out all of the little pips is required, but do you not add lemonjuice to the mixture?

    Huggs,

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A propos, the little templebuilding is the Saint Isaac cathedral in Saint Petersburg. Funny that you should find it in Moscow. 😃

      Huibrecht

      Delete
    2. Mr H, yes my 'baddie' box is getting bigger, one day I will post them for sale to maybe interest a different type of miniaturist as you know we are a very divers group of people! Thank you for the cathedral update, I did go to work in Moscow many years ago when we could not go out without bodyguards! A terrible time in a beautiful city but St Petersburg is still on my list 'to do' ! huggsss

      Delete
    3. Yes 90% of pips gone ! Tedius but imortant and I didn't add lemon just special jam sugar with some setting powder in it I think. When I mix apples and bramble I put in a small bag of apple pips to help then take them out before potting. I just got 2 pots out of the first batch and tomorrow I hope three more. I alrady did red and black current earlier and ten pots of garden strawberry so that me set for winter ! some pipless huggssss

      Delete
    4. I have never been to Russia alas. Although I have read a fair share of the great Russian if that cpunts. 🤗 I do wish to go visit Saint Petersburg and Moscow once.

      Many brands of jam sugar contain citric acid and than they result is the equal to adding lemon juice. The acidity of lemons freshenup the taste of preserves ans jellies. I can't wait to have a garden again and use my own fruits for jam making et cetera. You will have enough lovely home made jams and jellies for the coming winter I see. 😃

      And last but not least. I am already curious about the baddiebox. Will you give us a heads up when they come up for sale?

      Huggs,

      Huibrecht

      Delete
    5. Funny you mention the lemons as last year some friends made strawberry jam and he actually put the equivelent of 30 lemons in the pan and we have never been able to actually eat it!! I loved my stay in Moscow, I actually designed a store for the Gum on Red Square but it never got off the ground, another life! A Young man came up to me in the square and opened a plastic bag to show me an incredible old icon which he offered me for 50 dollars but my guide said she would report me to the authorities if I bought it, shadow of the KGB ( turned out she was a 'swallow'! ) indeed another life. I would be thrilled if my baddies were useful to you all, and yes I will put up a link. I still have the fine leather you said you might like to make things with, let me know. huggsss

      Delete
    6. 30 lemons.... I use the maximum of 1 per kilogram fruit. :-0 That must have been quite a jam ;-)

      Yes those were other days indeed. Because of my fathers work we were not allowed to visit the USSR or the GDR.

      And yes, I did not forget your friendly offer, but i did forget to send you an e-mail. I will make reparations tout suite! Huggs.

      Huibrecht

      Delete
  5. You have so many wonderful little things! It's difficult to choose a favorite (not that you even asked us to do so), but I think the green jug with the funny spout is it! It looks like something that you could fish out of the Thames when mudlarking or at least some of its shards.

    I gather that your love for miniatures goes back quite a way? Going through old storage containers must be like one big Christmas - one lovely pressie after another. I would not have been able to remember everything in a storage container. It would have been a lot of fun for me to rediscover everything.

    An impending move is no small thing, but I hope that everything goes well in the end and that you can 'schlepp' as many of your treasures with you as possible.

    Ohhhh, and the tiny paper mache and ivory pill box!! I can't even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris my dear you are right ! I am addicted to the mudlarking channels on YT especially a girl called Nicola! And yes its exactly like a shard of medieval pottery.Yes I do have a LOT of tiny bits and pieces, way too much for Ramsay House unless I want it to look like a museum or worse, a Junk shop! But it's nice to be able to play around with things when the build is done ( if and when ) I am so happy to have finally emptied my storage units and gone through all that some nice surprises and a few things missing , stolen which is upsetting. I am trying to rent a house near here that is incredible with a gorgeous garden in a preserved village so fingers crossed! Yes I love my little box, I actually found several in that old house along with 1930's dresses and jewellery and the huge leather and bronze bound family bible all to be burnt but it was the 60's and people were not interested in 'old' stuff !! I shudder to thing all that was destroyed back then but it's not like my house isn't already overfull of things. Big big hugggg Iris xx

      Delete