Wednesday, October 2, 2019

How does my garden grow

A little post on these cute little trees made last night.
I wanted to make some plants for the window ledge of the dining room which I also call 'the garden room' as between the wallpaper and some of the china collected it is fitting.


When I was up in Scotland this summer I picked this moss up from the pavement where it had Fallen from some trees. I felt it had potential for something. There were two distinct types of moss.



My collection of mini flower pots over the years. They are all real terra cotta and cost very little.


Here are a few I painted up to look like old ones. The long one is resin but takes paint well.
Ages ago I had tried rather unsuccessfully to 'age' some of these pots, taking too much care in the process but last night I just splotched and dabbed and voila!


This type of moss looks like sea coral so I painted a piece to later set on a black base to put in the Library which will have a slight 'cabinet de curiosity ' theme. The paint had the added advantage of hardening the moss making it easier to manipulate later.


And here are the plants ! I put some airclay into two matching pots to Anchor the trees.
I then rolled up small pieces of moss using wood glue to hold it in place then pushed in a short 'stalk' of florists wire in brown color. I dabbed on some green paint as the moss is quite brownish.
 I then checked the length and pushed the tree into the pot.
To simulate the ground you can use tea leaves from a tea bag as they are finer. I Simply painted brown the top of the 'soil'. I will redo these plants when it is nearer the time to decorate as his was mostly a test and another distraction.


The trees on the dining room window sill.


I has also thought of covering the moss balls in glue them covering them with dry tea leaves, not from a tea bag this time, then paint them in shades of green. Of course if you use this technique you don't need moss but perhaps small polystyrene balls or wooden or plastic beads.


15 comments:

  1. Han quedado muy bien y dan apariencia de plantas reales!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar, yes I will do a lot more plants and flowers, its fun and quick to do ,, besos

      Delete
  2. How brilliant and beautiful your little trees are. Using the moss for coral... who would have thought? Well you did clearly and it is perfect.
    Hugs, Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anna, I love white coral, I have quite a few in RL and wanted to make some in miniature but couldn't figure it out ,, now it's easier, will keep you posted ,, huggsss

      Delete
    2. I, too, thought that it was a brilliant idea to turn the moss into coral. True thinking outside the box! I absolutely love the very last photograph. The shutters, the wallpaper, the whole composition - soooooo good!

      Delete
  3. The aged pots have lovely patina and with the moss made into round tops for the topiaries you have achieved a beautiful result. Love the idea of painting some of the branched moss white and placing on a black base as coral...brilliant idea and hope you share picture once it is done! Cheers, Alayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alayne I did research patina for pots and never got it righ then suddenly it was easy, so practice makes perfect, or should I say 'imperfect' as not two are the same, more soon ,, huggsss now

      Delete
  4. Moss into coral is much like turning lead into gold - BRILLIANT!
    and your trees look great in the window too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Miss E, it makes me Wonder what else can be dipped in paint !! maybe red paint to make red coral ,, huggsss

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hello Polly ! many thanks, yes I cant wait to make more and maybe a Christmas tree !!!! huggsss

      Delete
  6. Hello Mrs. M. A splash of green, a petit pièce de nature brightens up every room. Great to see the way you work with these. They also seem a great start for christmas decorations.

    And talking about coral, a great find indeed. If you paint them red in order to simulatie bloodcoral, perhaps you should varnish them too in order to get that luscious sheen on them?

    Mr. H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr H hello, I am on my way back from Scotland where I looked for more moss but wrong season it seems ! Thanks for the varnish tip will look into that soon. I will know this coming week if I am getting the new lease of my dream home so will have to juggle minis and packing! It WILL mean two workrooms and lots of storage and a large old garden, exciting !! Will do an Intagram thing with it if it comes to fruition ,,, big hugs and bug higs ,,,

      Delete
    2. I do hope you get that lease on your dream home. Fingers crossed! Is it close to where you live now or will you have to move to an entirety different community?

      Delete
    3. Mr H hello, I still haven't finished preparing your package but haven't forgotten! Yes the new house is 10 kms away so for once moving will be a lot quicker although the sheer quantity of things will still be tough. I am due to go finalise the lease this week or week end with the owners who live abroad. It's such a beautiful large house but its five bedrooms still make it smaller than this house which has seven ! I am looking forward to the garden and the new Community all built by the owners grandfather in the 1930's. Will keep you posted , huggss Mrs M

      Delete